President Joe Biden speaks on Friday at Carnegie Mellon University’s Mill 19 to tout his administration’s investment in infrastructure.
President Biden set to visit Pittsburgh this afternoon
By Brian Sherry, Contributing Editor • 1:05 pm
Satire | A better use for editorial space
By Anna Ehlers, Contributing Editor • 1:06 am

Stack’d Burgers and Beer to open new location in Oakland

After two other restaurants closed for good last school year at the corner of Forbes and Oakland Avenues, Stack’d Burgers and Beer hopes the third time’s the charm.

Stack’d operations manager Colleen Wolf said the sit-down burger joint, which has another location in Shadyside, plans to open in mid-September.

Owners Maurry Mendelovich and Jamie Rodgersdecided to open a second location in Oakland after Joe Mama’s Italian Deluxe and Olio Trattoria both vacated the property.

Wolf said the property was on the market for four months before Stack’d moved in and began construction on the new location in June.

Stack’d features an extensive build-it-yourself burger menu as well as craft beers and mixed drinks. The Oakland location will offer a similar menu as its Shadyside counterpart, Wolf said, but will also serve grilled cheese sandwiches.

To connect with Oakland’s student population, Wolf said Stack’d will host club fundraisers and will also broadcast NFL games.

Joe Mama’s operated out of the corner restaurant since 2001 and closed Oct. 27 last year. Owners Mike Hanley and Jerry DiLembo, who also own Pittsburgh restaurants Burgatory and Uncle Sam’s, sold the restaurant to Pitt alumni Brandon Smith, Greg Ripper and Daniel Sutton.

The trio, who also own Fuel and Fuddle, opened up Olio Trattoria on Nov. 4, 2014 after minor renovations. The restaurant closed four months later.

Though Stack’d is following two recent restaurant closures in the building, Wolf said she expects the company to thrive in Oakland.

“We’re more casual and less expensive [than Joe Mama’s and Olio Trattoria] and very accessible to college students,” Wolf said.