Pitt graduates after 2021 commencement at Acrisure Stadium.
Pitt holding spring commencement April 28
By Donata Massimiani, Assistant News Editor • 7:05 am
Counterpoint | The City Game is pointless
By Jermaine Sykes, Assistant Sports Editor • March 27, 2024

SGB to fill open seat

SGB has one open seat to fill before the end of the month. Photo: Nikki Moriello / Visual Editor

Pitt’s Student Government Board is looking for a student to fill an open Board member seat by the end of September, President Nasreen Harun said.

SGB currently has one empty Board member seat to fill after former President Graeme Meyer resigned from his post and former Executive Vice President Nasreen Harun took over his position in May. Harun said applications will be available in mid-September on its website.

Because SGB is filling the vacancy at the beginning of a new school year, all undergraduate students can apply.

“That isn’t something that usually happens,” Harun said. “I’m happy to expose them to the different opportunities of the SGB.”

After Board members review the applications, the full Board will interview all eligible candidates at two of its weekly public meetings. Following these interviews, all of the current Board members, with the exception of Harun, will hold a vote to determine which of the candidates will receive the vacant position.

The new Board member will serve for nearly a full-length term, as the SGB is currently transitioning from calendar-year terms to school-year terms, which will end in April. .

In the last year and a half, SGB has become accustomed to filling empty seats. Since the beginning of Jan. 2014, four board members have resigned.

Harun and Board member Meghan Murphy have discussed creating a guide for the new Board member in order to help him or her acclimate to the role. Harun and Murphy plan on reviewing the constitution and governing code with the new member, and Harun said that Chief of Cabinet and Vice President Natalie Dall will give the member an overview of the cabinet and the various committees involved with the SGB.

Although any student can apply to the position, SGB advisor Steve Anderson said the ideal candidate is someone who truly wants to make a difference at Pitt.

“What we’re looking for is students who care about the whole student body,” said Anderson. “Somebody that wants to get involved and get engaged.”