Opinion | I am media literate and also don’t like ‘Poor Things’
By Delaney Rauscher Adams, Staff Columnist • 1:11 am

Port Authority bus hits Pitt student

A Port Authority bus struck a Pitt student on Monday morning. | TPN file photo.

Port Authority Police is investigating what happened before a Port Authority bus hit a Pitt student on Fifth Avenue Tuesday afternoon.

The student stepped into the bus lane to cross Fifth Avenue toward Thackeray Avenue when a Port Authority bus running the 71A outbound route toward Shadyside struck him. The bus driver called 911 at 2:25 p.m., and Pitt Police, as well as Port Authority police, responded to the scene, according to Port Authority spokesperson Adam Brandolph.

Port Authority is not releasing the name of the student, but Brandolph said he had minor abrasions on the scene. The student stood and spoke with police for several minutes before walking to an ambulance. He was in stable condition at UPMC Presbyterian Hospital this afternoon following the accident.

After police arrived, an unnamed woman on the bus who hit her head on impact complained of a headache, according to Brandolph. EMTs treated her on the scene, and she did not go to the hospital.

Brandolph said Port Authority is investigating the details of the incident and will perform routine drug and alcohol tests on the driver before the end of the night.

Following impact with the bus, the front windshield cracked in the bottom-right corner.

This is the fifth reported person hit by a bus on Pitt’s campus since the beginning of October.