Kristan Hawkins speaks at the Turning Point USA event on Wednesday evening in the OHara Student Center.
By Emma Hannan and Kyra McCague April 19, 2024

Police investigating attempted burglary

Pittsburgh police are investigating an attempted burglary in Oakland Tuesday morning.

According to a crime alert posted on its website, the Pitt police assisted the city police in an attempted apartment break-in on the 3400 block of Bates Street at about 9:30 a.m. on Nov. 11.

Early yesterday morning, an unknown man tried to enter the second floor apartment through a window off a fire escape, the alert said. When the man attempted to open the window, a burglar alarm went off and the man fled, according to police.

The crime alert describes the unknown man as black and wearing a dark-colored hooded sweatshirt, with the hood up and dark-colored pants. The man also had a beard, the alert said.

This is the third reported incident this semester involving unknown men entering or attempting to enter homes and apartments in South Oakland.

Police are asking anyone with information about this incident to contact the Pittsburgh police at 412-422-6520 and reference their report CCR #15-216775, or call Pitt police at 412-624-2121 and reference their report #15-03422.