By Emma Hannan and Kyra McCague 8:57 am
By Julia Smeltzer, Digital Manager • 2:23 am

By Emma Hannan and Kyra McCague 8:57 am

Pitt bans hoverboards

TNS
Logan Meis, 20, balances on his hover board outside his apartment complex in Overland Park, Kan., on Friday, Sept. 4, 2015. Meis purchased the personal transportation device for about $330 online. (Tammy Ljungblad/Kansas City Star/TNS)

Pitt put its foot down Tuesday with a new rule that bans hoverboards from campus housing.

Panther Central said in an email to students that it is banning hoverboards, which are self-balancing electric scooters, from University housing following consumer reports that some boards malfunctioned and caught fire. As of Tuesday, Pitt’s ban only affects residence halls and Pitt-owned apartments, and students can continue to use hoverboards outside on University ground.

In December, the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission issued a statement acknowledging that some hoverboards overheated and caught fire when consumers plugged the boards in to charge.

The statement said the Commission was investigating the cause of the fires in the boards and urged consumers to be wary of where and what kind of hoverboard they purchase. The Commission also said to not charge the boards overnight.

Pitt follows several other schools, including University of Notre Dame, Auburn University and University of Northern Colorado, which have all issued bans on hoverboards in the past week. Retailers, such as Amazon and Overstock, have also stopped selling hoverboards, citing the safety concerns of the vehicles.

Panther Central said it had taken notice of the hoverboards’ fire risks and has given students about two months — until March 13 — to take their boards home. After March 13, the University will not allow hoverboards in dorms or Pitt-owned apartments.

In the meantime, Panther Central said students must not use their hoverboards indoors or charge them in Pitt dorms or apartments.

.