A member of Pitts swimming and diving team goes up for air while swimming during a meet against Army in Trees Hall on Sept 22, 2023.
Pitt swim and dive competes on national stage this week
By Aidan Kasner, Senior Staff Writer • 12:27 pm

South Oakland hotel robbed

Pittsburgh police are investigating an armed robbery that occurred at a hotel Sunday evening in South Oakland, according to a police report.

At about 8 p.m. Sunday, Jan. 24, Zone 4 police responded to a call of a robbery at the Hampton Inn at 3315 Hamlet St., the hotel behind Magee-Womens Hospital of UPMC.

According to a police report, a female employee of the hotel was working behind the front register when an unidentified man entered the building with a gun. The man pointed the gun at the woman’s face and demanded that she give him money from the register.

The man took an undetermined amount of money — according to Emily Schaffer, the assitant public information officer — before fleeing the hotel on foot. According to the police report, the man was last seen traveling north on Craft Avenue Sunday evening after the robbery.

Police have described the man as young, between 20 and 30 years old, and about 5-feet-10-inches tall. At the time of the robbery, the man was wearing a black ski mask, a gray hooded sweatshirt with a zipper, gray sweat pants and dark sneakers.

Ben Ward, the general manager of the Hampton Inn on Hamlet Street, declined to comment on the robbery.

In their report, the police have asked that anyone with information about the robbery contact them.