A member of Pitts swimming and diving team goes up for air while swimming during a meet against Army in Trees Hall on Sept 22, 2023.
Pitt swim and dive competes on national stage this week
By Aidan Kasner, Senior Staff Writer • 12:27 pm

Port Authority settles on fatal crash case

The bus accident took place near upper campus in October 2015. | Dale Shoemaker / Contributing Editor

The Port Authority of Allegheny County reached a settlement agreement on Friday with the family of a couple killed in a bus accident near upper campus last October.

The Pitt News reported on Oct. 26, 2015 that a vehicle driving down Centre Avenue made a left hand turn onto Allequippa Street when it struck Henry Walker, who was in a wheelchair, and threw him down in front of the 83 Bedford Hill bus he had just exited.

As his wife, Christine Williamson, attempted to help him back up, a Port Authority bus pulled forward and struck and killed them both.

On Friday, the family of the couple settled with Port Authority for $450,000, according to Port Authority spokesperson Adam Brandolph.

According to the summary of resolution from Port Authority, Walker and Williamson’s daughter, Desiree Williamson, filed a suit against Port Authority on Feb. 16, 2016.

Brandolph said in a statement Sunday “the [bus] operator remains an employee but is not actively working at this time.” According to the resolution, the driver had stood up in his seat twice in an attempt to see over the edge of the bus to where Walker had fallen. The driver, however, left the bus in drive while he stood up, and thee bus rolled forward and struck the couple.

“This was an absolutely tragic accident, and we at Port Authority extend our deepest sympathies to the family of Mr. Walker and Ms. Williamson,” Brandolph said.