Kamalani Akeo talks with members of the womens volleyball coaching staff in 2021.
Kamalani Akeo: An unsung hero contributing to the success of Pitt volleyball
By Matthew Scabilloni, Senior Staff Writer • 10:10 am

Brenna Wise earns second-straight All-ACC Academic selection

Pitt sophomore forward Brenna Wise earned her second-straight All-ACC Academic Team selection on Friday. Anna Bongardino | Staff Photographer

In her two years at Pitt, sophomore forward Brenna Wise immediately took over as the women’s basketball team’s best player following star point guard Brianna Kiesel’s graduation.

Now, Wise is following Kiesel’s path in the classroom as well as on the court.

The Pittsburgh native received her second straight selection to the All-ACC Academic Team Friday, joining Kiesel as the second Panther to earn multiple All-ACC Academic honors. Student-athletes must have earned a 3.0 grade point average for the previous semester as well as maintained a 3.0 cumulative GPA during the course of their academic career to be eligible for consideration.

Wise easily surpassed those qualifications, having raised her cumulative GPA in marketing to 3.918 after logging a perfect 4.0 GPA in the fall 2016 semester.

The talented forward has been Pitt’s go-to option since arriving on campus, having led the team in both scoring and rebounding in both of her first two seasons. She averaged 10.7 points and 7.6 rebounds per game in the 2015-16 season, then raised her scoring average to 14.3 points per game last year.

Along with her team-leading 6.3 rebounds per game as a sophomore, Wise led the Panthers with an 89.5 free-throw percentage, five double-doubles and 24 games scoring in double figures. Her free-throw percentage ranked third-best in the ACC.

Pitt’s season ended with a 72-60 loss to the North Carolina Tar Heels in the first round of the ACC Tournament in Conway, South Carolina. The Panthers finished 13-17 overall and 4-12 in ACC play.