close
Conflict Kitchen to close Schenley Plaza location in May

Thanks to a partnership with the Sprout Fund, Conflict Kitchen will launch a new Guest Chef Program in March. Now the restraunt will close at the end of May. Anna Bongardino | Staff Photographer

Ashwini Sivaganesh / News Editor
March 17, 2017

After seven years, Conflict Kitchen will close up shop at its Schenley Plaza location May 31.

The restaurant — which serves international food from countries the United States is in conflict with — is funded by sales, in addition to some local organizations including the Sprout Fund and the Benter Foundation.

Until now, Carnegie Mellon University provided administrative support for the restaurant, but now CMU will maintain administrative assistance for the other creative activities the Conflict Kitchen team plans to take on, according to a press release posted to the restaurant’s website Thursday.

“Although we will no longer be based in Schenley Plaza, Conflict Kitchen will continue to expand our educational initiatives throughout the Greater Pittsburgh region with the production of curriculum, performances, public events and publications with cultural institutions, community organizations and schools,” Conflict Kitchen’s management said in the release.

The restaurant has long been a local favorite, known for producing food and educational content about cultures and peoples from various areas of the world. The current menu features food from the Native American confederacy the Haudenosaunee.

The group is looking for new partnerships as it expands locally and nationally.

printPrint