Blame big bills on the dopamine

By DEREK FAISH

I have no idea how people don’t like shopping. There’s nothing like the thrill of going to… I have no idea how people don’t like shopping. There’s nothing like the thrill of going to the mall, finding a perfect outfit and trying it on.

There’s tremendous pleasure to be had while browsing for clothing, and the excitement in a new purchase is enough to make just about anyone happy. People, especially younger ones, will always find pleasure in surfing malls and boutiques, discovering new styles and getting new gear.

But everyone who loves to shop has a frugal friend they can’t understand. After all, it’s just money, and what’s so good about saving money if we can’t look good while doing it? A lot of people would rather spend hard-earned cash in exchange for looking good and feeling nice.

On the other side of the argument, there are plenty of students who think that spending a month’s rent on a chic outfit is ludicrous – justification of such extravagance is impossible.

There’s a big difference between these two types of people, and a lot of it stems from important background experiences, such as how one was raised to appreciate money, clothes and savings.

While personal history and environment have an impact on how one spends, science might play a huge role as well. Science can explain the differences between those who spend a fortune on clothes and those who don’t.

In a recent article by John Tierney in The New York Times, researchers from Carnegie Mellon University explained how some people can be so lavish and others so frugal. The researchers came up with what they call the Spendthrift-Tightwad Scale to help understand a shopper’s trouble with spending too much or too little money.

Results of the study were astonishing, as doctors noticed tell-tale activity in key neurological centers while shoppers where virtually shopping during an MRI.

According to the article, the results of the experiment pinpoint two forces that argue with each other when one is pondering a purchase. The first is the nucleus accumbens, which is a region of the brain that controls dopamine – a nice, happy neurotransmitter that is discharged when we experience something pleasant. Dopamine is liberated in the brain when shoppers see something they like.

The other force we have is called the insula, which is triggered when we experience something painful – like seeing a price that’s too high or even having to pay for something. In regard to the insula, George Loewenstein, a contributor to the experiment, was quoted by The New York Times as saying: “We’ve developed this propensity to experience direct pain when we spend money.”

But harsh, direct pain can be soothed by sweet dopamine, even when we experience guilt from the insula when we’re making a purchase or staring in disbelief at a credit card invoice. This is because dopamine and the insula have arguments as to whether an item should be purchased or put back on the rack.

Nevertheless, America is a debtor society, and retail is a multi-billion-dollar business. Perhaps sweet, fuzzy dopamine and clever credit card companies are controlling us too heavily. Between spendthrifts and tightwads, spendthrifts have the lion’s share of the problems – but there are some ways to combat this.

The study indicates that it’s quite possible for a spendthrift to have an overactive nuclear accumbens, issuing intoxicating dopamine in excess. It is suggested that this individual should leave the store without the item, allowing for time for the dopamine levels to settle down, and ease any superfluous guilt issued by the insula. This will allow for a decision free of inebriation.

Also, it’s possible that the insula is too slow. A good way to arouse the insula is to pay in cash. That way, you’ll experience more pain when you actually feel the cash leave your hand and go into the register. This will prompt you to avoid silly purchases.

It’s also possible for a spendthrift to compromise on the demands of dopamine and the insula. One might decide to negotiate by purchasing the item, saying they’ll probably just return it later. I don’t recommend this – it doesn’t work. Trust me.