Oakland shooting leaves man dead — Police hold the names of suspects and victim

By JARED TRENT STONESIFER

A man was fatally shot outside Essie’s Original Hot Dog Shop at 2:48 a.m. Thursday. The… A man was fatally shot outside Essie’s Original Hot Dog Shop at 2:48 a.m. Thursday. The victim’s name has not been released, but city police have said that he was a 24 years old.

The police are not releasing the identity of the suspects at this time either, but they are issuing arrest warrants for possible suspects.

According to a press release from the Pittsburgh Police Department, the victim and the shooter exchanged words outside of The “O.” The argument became heated, and someone drew and fired a gun.

An off-duty officer inside The “O” heard one gunshot and radioed for assistance. While calling for assistance, he heard another gunshot. A city officer patrolling the area responded immediately after hearing the gunshots.

The victim was found under a parked car in front of Boomerang’s Bar and Grille with a single gunshot wound to the chest. He was transported to UPMC Presbyterian, where he died at 3:40 a.m.

Terry Campasano, an owner of The “O,” believes that Pitt is not doing enough to protect its students.

“The University of Pittsburgh needs to step up to the plate and make their campus safe. The shooting happened 20 feet from their own cafeteria,” Campasano said. “Pitt owns Oakland and they need to protect it. It’s not the Original’s fault and it’s not Boomerang’s fault. It’s Pitt’s fault.”

Robert Hill, Pitt’s vice chancellor for public affairs, defended Pitt Police and the University.

“The campus is as safe as any urban campus can be,” he said. “We have adequate police protection working with the city police. We are in the middle of a large urban area, and the truth is that no members of the University community were involved.”

Hill said Pitt Police have officers patrolling 24 hours a day by foot and by car.

According to a city police press release, Officer Stephen Vinansky pursued a red Chevy Malibu that sped from the scene. The driver, Juan Lamont Moyer II, had a gunshot wound to his right elbow which he received after he tried to break up the altercation.

Police seized a semi-automatic weapon thrown from the vehicle during the pursuit.

The press release said that Moyer is being charged with fleeing and eluding a crime scene and tampering with evidence. The passenger was not placed under arrest and was not injured.

Jared Hosack, the owner of Boomerang’s, was critical Thursday of Pitt Police presence on and around campus.

“The University needs to staff more police to protect their students late at night,” he said. “The city police are already stretched thin, and we need more police presence and patrols. It is unfortunate this had to happen here.”