Amish living their American dream

By MARIA MASTERS

Many people that feel modern conveniences like cars, computers and television are just a part… Many people that feel modern conveniences like cars, computers and television are just a part of everyday life, but there are still some people in Pennsylvania who feel differently.

The Amish, a Christian group that lives mainly in Ohio, Indiana and Pennsylvania, don’t use electricity, drive cars or use telephones in their homes. Instead, they drive horse-drawn buggies and choose to work on farms or in carpentry or quilt shops.

The Amish — along with the Mennonites, a similar religious sect — both descend from a group of Christian leaders who emerged in Europe during the 16th century Reformation Era. Commonly referred to as Anabaptists, these people did not believe in baptizing children until they were old enough to acknowledge sin and commit to their religion.

Mennonite pastor John Bender said the Amish reject technology because they feel it will separate them from their families.

“It’s not that they don’t want [technology],” Bender said. “They feel it will destroy their way of life.”

In 1972, the Supreme Court granted the Amish permission to attend school up until eighth grade, at which point they will typically return home. After their education, the girls learn domestic chores and the boys learn either carpentry or farming.

According to Bender, the Amish don’t have social security or rely on the government for help. Instead, they rely on close family ties and members of their community.

“If their house burns down, they all come and build a new one,” Bender said. “They practice caring for each other.” Bender also said the Amish try to keep their communities toaround 30 to 40 families, and will take turns worshipping in each other’s homes or barns.

Mennonites also live in the same communities as the Amish; as a result, some people don’t know the difference between the two groups, though, in fact, there are many.

In 1536, a Catholic priest named Menno Simons united many Anabaptists in Europe and founded the Mennonite religion. But in 1693, after failing to agree on social and religious issues, a spokesman named Jacob Amman broke away from the Mennonites and founded the Amish religion.

William Penn then granted them a safe haven in Pennsylvania, and during the early 1700s, the Amish relocated to the United States. Since then, the Amish have maintained a simplistic lifestyle, stressing humility and modesty.

“The Amish felt like the Mennonites were becoming too liberal,” Bender said. “They have this belief of not conforming to the world, and they took this way of life as a way of preserving it.”

The Amish dress in plain clothing and wear solid colors, and although some conservative Mennonites adopt this style, Bender said many other Mennonites wear contemporary clothing.

Bender said that being Mennonite has more to do with an understanding of the New Testament rather than a style of dress. While Amish people tend to stay away from modernity, Mennonites not only use technology, but actively recruit members to their religion.

Despite the many differences that Amish people have with the outside world, they consider themselves to be just like everyone else.

“We are just like every other person,” said an Amish woman from Volant, Pa., who wished to remain anonymous. “We get up, go to work, eat and go to bed.”