Best of 2008… The Best Grub

By Pitt News Staff

Best Italian Food: Joe Mama’s In the annals of American folklore, we’ve got a whole handful of… Best Italian Food: Joe Mama’s In the annals of American folklore, we’ve got a whole handful of Joe’s: Joe Six-Pack, Joe the Plumber and Sloppy Joe’s. Now we can add to that arsenal Joe Mama’s, which was voted Pitt’s favorite joint for Italian food. This Oakland restaurant is near legendary for sticking to its roots and creating both food and atmosphere right out of Italy ‘mdash; or at least ‘The Godfather.’ Menu favorites include Gooey Crispy Provolone, Hug Yo Belly Gemelli and Four Cheese Ravioli. Interestingly enough, ‘Gooey Crispy,’ ‘Hug Yo Belly’ and’Four Cheese’ are all Italian for awesome. – By Justin Jacobs Editors’ Pick: Girasole Best Chinese Restaurant: Lulu’s Noodles Boring Chinese food got you down? If you’re saying, ‘Stop the Panda Express, I want to get off,’ look no further than Lulu’s Noodles. Among Craig Street’s indie shops for the artist in all of us, Lulu’s complements the neighborhood with a fun, casual atmosphere and a selection of old and new favorites. Whether sticking with a classic like General Tso’s chicken or mixing it up with a Dr. Fu special and a bubble tea, Lulu’s is the quintessential college Chinese restaurant. -by Tom VanBuren Editors’ Pick: Szechuan Express Best Indian Food: India Garden As if a winning selection of microbrews and a late-night half-price menu weren’t enough, India Garden’s wide variety of affordable Indian cuisine puts it over the top with Pitt students. Resting atop Atwood Street’s Spice Cafe, India Garden provides a unique dining experience for first dates, parental visits or a night out with your hipster friends. For curry with a touch of class, India Garden is the place to be ‘mdash; no Sherwani required. -by Tom VanBuren Editors’ Pick: Tandoor Best Mexican Food: Qdoba Oakland might have more Mexican restaurants than Tijuana, but nationwide chain Qdoba out-burritoed the competition this year for our top spot. Like a Mexican Quizno’s, Qdoba makes south-of-the-border staples like quesadillas, taco salads and burritos right in front of you. Spice things up on the main floor, and cool off upstairs with a Corona ‘mdash; Qdoba’s drink specials are just as hot as its fiery habanero salsa. Its fast service, limitless flavor combinations and convenient Forbes Avenue locale have Pitt students saying, ‘Muy bueno!’ -by Tom VanBuren Editors’ Pick: Veracruz Best Sushi: Sushi Boat If you are searching for the perfect spicy tuna roll or crab stick tempura, look no further than Sushi Boat. The fish is fresh and tasty, and the menu serves up enough variety that you will never be satisfied with the same piece of sushi on repeat visits. And one taste of the Boat’s fishy delicacies practically guarantees you will become a repeat offender of consuming the seafood concoctions. ‘We won last year, so I’m happy that we won again. We enjoy serving the students,’ said employee Mandy Xu. Trust us, Mandy, the feeling is mutual. -by Kieran Layton Editors’ Pick: The Cathedral Best Thai Food: Spice Island Tea House Not only have the readers of The Pitt News voted Spice Island the best place to score Thai food, but the restaurant was voted best Thai food in Pittsburgh by Citysearch Web site readers in 2004 and 2005. Though the prices are student-friendly ‘mdash; or very low ‘mdash;no quality is sacrificed in the exotic and tasty dishes. There are plenty of choices for even the pickiest of palates. A convenient lunch menu and an extensive dinner menu make the restaurant a prime choice for any time of day.’ -by Kieran Layton Editors’ Pick: Bigelow Boulevard Food Carts Best Middle Eastern: Leena’s Foods On a street where there are food choices to suffice practically every ethnic niche out there, it takes a lot to stand out from the crowd. Now that it has been voted the best place for Middle Eastern food, Leena’s has accomplished just that. Whether you’re in the mood for falafels, gyros or one of the more unfamiliar, authentic dishes the restaurant has to offer, you can be sure you’ll find nothing better elsewhere. Also, the prices will barely make a dent in your wallet, which makes Leena’s a no-brainer. -by Kieran Layton Editors’ Pick:’ Ali Baba Best Half-Price Menu: Fuel ‘amp; Fuddle While searching for good food is hard enough, searching for the ideal food specials in the area can be quite frustrating. Luckily, Fuel ‘amp; Fuddle was voted best half-price menu, so good food and better bargains are close to home. With a comfortable setting, lively bar atmosphere and way beyond typical bar-food fare, Fuel ‘amp; Fuddle is the perfect place to catch drinks or dinner, or both, after a long day of classes. Brandon Smith, the bar manager, is gracious for the student support at all times of the year. ‘Thanks for waiting for a table for an hour ‘mdash; in the snow,’ he said. -by Kieran Layton Editors’ Pick: Hemingway’s Best place to take Parents: Joe Mama’s Joe Mama’s, Oakland’s best-known representative of Italian cuisine, lies squarely in the heart of Oakland at the intersection of Forbes and Oakland avenues. Offering contemporary twists on traditional Italian dishes as well as preserving many of the cuisine’s staples, the smoldering high-class diner decor offers an enticing locale to impress visiting parents. ‘Joe Mama’s offers a relaxed, upscale atmosphere, while delivering delicious food at non-upscale prices,’ said Vic Bovalino, the director of operations. In addition to its already competitive prices, Joe Mama’s also offers lunch specials and a half-price menu after 11 p.m. -By Andres Miguel Editors’ Pick: Primanti Bros. Best Subs: Subway When Fred de Luca borrowed $1,000 from a friend to start a sandwich shop in 1965, there was no way to know that it would grow into what is today the third largest global fast-food provider. With its convenient Oakland location on Forbes Avenue between Oakland Avenue and Atwood Street, Subway offers a wide variety of submarine sandwich options, including multiple types of fresh-baked bread, a variety of meats and cheeses and fresh vegetables to round out the experience. For the prudent student, Subway also offers its ‘$5 footlong’promotion, where a heaping foot of sub goodness will only run you ‘mdash; you guessed it ‘mdash; five bucks. -By Andres Miguel Editors’ Pick: Penn Station East Coast Subs Best Deli: Campus Deli Campus Deli, located on Semple Street in South Oakland, offers a diverse menu deserving of the title ‘Best Deli.’ Besides the traditional deli offerings, including hot and cold sandwiches with a huge variety of meats, breads and other fillings, Campus Deli also delivers a wide array of salads, pitas, wraps, deli-style sides and even desserts. The prices at Campus Deli are also extremely reasonable ‘mdash; sandwiches start at only $5, and even the most expensive items won’t run a hungry student more than $10. Campus Deli also offers catering options at very affordable rates. -By Andres Miguel Editors’ Pick: Groceria Merante Best Place to take a Date: Union Grill With its dark, old-fashioned atmosphere and smoky elegance, along with its delicious food and affordable prices, Union Grill distinguishes itself as a fantastic place to have a great date. Nested on trendy Craig Street just off of Forbes Avenue in Oakland, Union Grill serves both the Pitt and Carnegie Mellon communities. The cuisine is general American fare in big portions and with big flavor. While slightly higher in price than the average Oakland eatery, the value is hard to beat, and the dusky, cozy surroundings are the perfect place for a romantic night out. -By Andres Miguel Editors’ Pick: Abay Ethiopian’ Cuisine Best Place to get Lunch: Panera Bread Panera Bread offers a variety of tasty bakery options including breads, souffles, bagels, breakfast sandwiches and pastries. A strong draw for the Pitt lunch-going crowd, Panera Bread’s sandwiches, soups and salads are a delectable afternoon treat. Conveniently located on Forbes Avenue, the restaurant’s variety of hot grilled paninis, including smokehouse turkey and tomato and mozzarella, are filling and moderately priced ‘mdash; useful to students looking for a good lunch that won’t break the bank. The restaurant also offers wireless Internet service for diners who prefer to munch and surf the Internet simultaneously. -by Eric Donato Editors’ Pick: Schenley Plaza kiosks Best Coffee: Starbucks With about 15,000 stores worldwide, this chain from Seattle must be doing something right, as it also made a big impression on Pitt students looking to snag a quick coffee before class or to sip a caffeinated specialty drink leisurely while perusing the newspaper. Starbucks has a reputation for making these specialty drinks precisely the way the customers want them, whether it be a two-shot venti soy hazelnut white mocha with caramel or a caffe verona.’ ‘ -by Eric Donato Editors’ Pick: Beehive Best Wings: Quaker Steak Pitt students seem to agree with Quaker Steak and Lube’s assertion that its wings truly are ‘The Best in the U.S.A.’ Offering a wide variety of spices like golden garlic, cajun, salt and vinegar and Asian sesame, as well as the daunting ‘atomic’ sauce, Quaker Steak has flavors to satisfy any wing-lover. The restaurant’s quick service ensures that the wings keep coming as long as the stomach’s still rumbling. This is particularly useful among competitive Pitt students who enjoy the occasional cutthroat wing-eating competition. -by Eric Donato Editors’ Pick: Mad Mex Best Vegetarian Food: Red Oak Cafe An alternative to a burger and fries from a fast food joint, Red Oak Cafe serves up a variety of dishes with an emphasis on health and taste. The restaurant offers breakfast, sandwiches, wraps and entree-sized salads that make it the best place to grab a vegetarian dish, according to Pitt students. On weekdays the restaurant offers $7.75 blue-plate specials: hot ‘comfort food,’ such as chopped chicken cordon bleu or jambalaya. ‘It’s convenient, and it’s healthy,’ said owner and manager David Gancy. Some of the food the Red Oak Cafe serves uses organic ingredients, making it vegan friendly as well. -by Eric Donato Editors’ Pick: Eat Unique Best Vegan Food: Red Oak Cafe Red Oak Cafe, located in the heart of Oakland on Forbes Avenue, serves up the best vegan food. In response to this award, Dave Gancy, one of the owners, said, ‘We’re fired up. Thank you. We’ll take any recognition.’ He also noted, ‘We have quite a few options that are vegan, vegetarian and organic, but we try to take special care of the vegans because we know there are not a lot of vegan options in Pittsburgh.’ Red Oak uses beans, grains and quinoa, nutrient-rich grain similar to rice, plus a lot of vegetable broths and stocks to prepare vegan options. Additionally, any salad can be prepared vegan.’ -by Julia Naur Editors’ Pick: Maggie’s Mercantile Best Sandwich: Primanti Bros. A Pittsburgh original dating back to the 1930s, Primanti’s has been featured on national television for its unique sandwiches piled high with french fries, coleslaw and tomatoes. People around the country know of these greasy greats, and it seems that Pitt students must feel pretty lucky to have a Primanti’s so close. Apparently winning best sandwich was no surprise to the restaurant. ‘Of course. Who else are they going to give it to?’ said one sandwich-maker. -by Julia Naur Editors’ Pick: Souf Oakland Steaks Best Meal Under $5: McDonald’s Whether you want five double cheeseburgers or just want to chow down on chicken nuggets, you can’t beat McDonald’s when it comes to getting the best bang for your buck. The dollar menu is a college kid’s dream, helping to turn Pitt students everywhere into dollar menunaire’s. You might regret it later, but go ahead and stuff yourself with french fries, shakes and burgers, and your wallet will stay stuffed, too. Just don’t forget that menu options become limited after 11 p.m. with the late-night menu. -by Julia Naur Editors’ Pick: Antoon’s Best Pizza: Sorrento’s Sorrento’s is the place to go for cheesy goodness in Oakland, according to Pitt students. Voting this pizza place best pizza for a second year in a row, voters must be pretty enthusiastic about this one. A representative from Sorrento’s was equally enthused to accept the honor. ‘We’re extremely excited. We take a lot of pride in it. We’re really appreciative to our customers. We’re going to continue to provide them with great pizza.’ -by Julia Naur Editors’ Pick: Milano’s Best Ice Cream:’ Dave and Andy’s Although the frigid Pittsburgh weather settles over Oakland early in November, there is never a bad time to bundle up and indulge in a frosty treat. And when your sweet tooth craves frozen dessert, there is nowhere better to check out than Dave and Andy’s. Just follow the inviting scent of freshly baked waffle cones, and you’ll find this treasured ice cream shop, located on Atwood Street beneath a giant illuminated ice cream cone. Co-owner Andy Hardie attributes this year’s ‘Best Of’ title to the shop’s longevity.’ ‘We’ve been in Oakland for 25 years,’ said Hardie. ‘[Students’] parents probably ate ice cream here.’ And it’s not just Pitt students and alum who love the homemade indulgence. A decade ago, USA Today voted Dave and Andy’s among the top-10 non-chain ice cream shops nationwide. -by Katie Blemler Editors’ Pick: Mercurio’s Mulberry Creamery Best French Fries:’ The O It’s hard to ignore the gigantic crimson ‘O’ lighting up Forbes Avenue any night of the week, just as it’s difficult to miss the line frequently cascading from its doorway.’ The Original Hot Dog Shop is famous for its overflowing plates of french fries responsible for its buildup of customers.’ ‘There’s a big, huge portion,’ said owner Terry Campasano. ‘Our small is everybody else’s large, and the large is animated, it’s so ridiculously big.’ Even The O’s nickname ‘mdash; The Dirty O ‘mdash; can’t deter college students from fulfilling their late-night snack cravings.’ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘There’s a lot of love and hard labor in doing those fries and getting them to the customers,’ said Campasano. ‘They’re the best, that’s all, hands down.’ -by Katie Blemler Editors’ Pick: Five Guys Burgers and Fries Best Bagel Shop: Bruegger’s Offering variations beyond the standard plain bagel with plain cream cheese, Bruegger’s secured this year’s top spot. Whether it’s a bagel and coffee for breakfast or a bagel sandwich for lunch, customers will find what they’re craving at Bruegger’s. And it’s just that mantra that the employees of the shop uphold.’ ‘We like to cater to the needs of everybody,’ said Deb Wander, the manager of the Oakland chain. ‘That’s what we’re all about.’ Its bagel choices range from the customary sesame, cinnamon raisin and blueberry options to more unique flavors like jalapeno, cranberry orange and salt. And just as Wander guaranteed, Bruegger’s selection will indeed satisfy each guest with soups, salads, sandwiches, wraps, tea, juices and even dessert. -by Katie Blemler Editors’ Pick: Bagel Factory Best Breakfast:’ Pamela’s The mid-morning huddle of guests waiting along its Forbes Avenue entrance every weekend ensures Pamela’s reign as the favorite breakfast stop. For guests craving something sweet, the crepe-style hotcakes topped with fruit and whipped cream should hit the spot. But if it’s a salty dish that customers desire, Pamela’s offers a variety of omelets, accompanied with a heaping side of its famous lyonnaise potatoes ‘mdash; its tweak on the quintessential hash brown staple. Or if you fancy it all, ‘The Morning After’ breakfast special combines a bit of everything: ham, sausage or bacon, eggs and the crepe-style hotcakes. ‘Great food and great service’ make Pamela’s the breakfast champion year after year, said owner Michele Mazzella. -by Katie Blemler Editors’ Pick: Ritter’s Best Hamburger:’ Five Guys Burgers and Fries Five Guys Burgers and Fries operates in accordance with that old maxim of Henry John Heinz: ‘To do a common thing, uncommonly well, brings success.’ This is proven by its win in the category of Best Hamburger. Burger joints abound in Oakland, but Five Guys’ attention to quality and details, like using cholesterol-free peanut oil and never-frozen beef, sets it apart from the many other restraints in Oakland. Five Guys franchises are found nationwide. Located on North Bouquet Street, Five Guys is both delicious and convenient. ‘ -by Sarah Simkin Editors’ Pick: Max ‘amp; Erma’s Best On-Campus Eatery: Market Central Pitt students with meal plans know that should you find yourself starving and on lower campus, then Market Central, this year’s winner in the category of Best On-Campus Eatery, is the place to go. Conveniently located beneath Towers lobby, the all-you-care-to-eat establishment has a wide array of selections, from stir-fry to pizza to wraps. Since recent renovations brought a trendy cafe ambience to the food court, it’s become a popular social gathering spot as well. Entry to Market Central can be paid for with a meal pass, cash, dining dollars or Panther funds at rates that depend on the time of day. -by Sarah Simkin Editors’ Pick: Pasta Plus Best Bar Food: Hemingway’s Not many people go to bars for the food, but if you find yourself in that minority, Pitt students would recommend Hemingway’s. Located on Forbes Avenue within easy walking distance of most on-campus housing, the bar is open for lunch, as well as later in the evening. When asked what makes the bar more popular than other similar places, Hemingway’s employee Heather Damron said, ‘I think it’s because it’s got a great atmosphere and great service,’ in addition to its great food. -by Sarah Simkin Editors’ Pick: Harris Grill