Former Panther Bill Stull joins Power

By Roger Sepich

Former Pitt quarterback Bill Stull has had a long jounrey back to his home city.

Two years… Former Pitt quarterback Bill Stull has had a long jounrey back to his home city.

Two years ago Stull led the Panther football team to its first 10-win season since 1981.

Then, after short stints with the UFL, the Kansas City Chiefs of the NFL and the Spokane Shock of the AFL, the local Seton-La Salle Catholic High School product recently joined the AFL’s Pittsburgh Power with the hopes of becoming a professional starting quarterback in his hometown.

We got a Q-and-A with the Power’s newest player:

The Pitt News: So how did you end up as a member of the Pittsburgh Power?

Stull: Well, I was out in Spokane playing for the Shock, and throughout the season I was playing backup. And then I got an opportunity to start, but I got hurt. So when I came back I wanted to start, but I didn’t. So I ended up talking to Power head coach Chris Siegfried and told him I wanted to come home, and they picked up my rights and now I’m back home.

TPN: You played your high school and college football in this city. Does it seem like a natural progression that you’re now a professional football player in Pittsburgh?

S: Yeah, pretty much. I’m definitely back in my comfort zone here. There’s no better city to play for — it’s the best football city in the world. Playing here in the pros is something I’ve always wanted to do.

TPN: What kind of talents at the quarterback position do you think you can bring to the Power?

S: I did well with the Shock when I was given a chance and had three touchdowns in the fourth quarter of the last game I played with them, so I know I can be a pretty good player at this level.

TPN: This year’s Power season is almost over. Do you plan on being a key part of this franchise going into the future with the goal of becoming the starting quarterback?

S: I don’t really picture myself going anywhere else now unless an NFL team comes calling. My family is here and my friends are here and I’ve got relationships here that I’ve had since I moved here, so I’d love to be here for a while. There’s nothing like playing for your hometown and absolutely my goal will be starting next season.