Gene the Werewolf entertains with beastly sound, stage presence

By Sarah Simkin

Gene the Werewolf

Diesel Club Lounge

Oct. 24

Doors: 6:30 p.m. Show: 7 p.m.

$10 pre-order,… Gene the Werewolf

Diesel Club Lounge

Oct. 24

Doors: 6:30 p.m. Show: 7 p.m.

$10 pre-order, $12 at the door

Ridiculous and awesome.

Spectacular adjectives, but the best words to describe a band?

If that band is Gene the Werewolf, lead singer and guitarist Jon Belan will settle for nothing less.

“We wanted something that would build an impression on somebody. When you tell someone to check something out, [awesome and ridiculous] are pretty strong words.” Belan said. “If you see us for the first time, you’re going to think, ‘This really is ridiculous, what are those guys up to?’”

What they are up to is having entirely too much fun.

Belan showed up for his interview with The Pitt News as himself, Izzie soda in hand, rather than his alter ego — the Jack Daniels-swilling werewolf Gene.

“When I’m just dressed in normal clothes, it’s hard to portray the image of Gene. It’s very in your face — it has that edginess that everyone wants to have sometimes,” he said.

It was a friend that gave the then-long-haired-and-bearded Belan the Gene the Werewolf nickname. The idea of being a werewolf symbolized the transformation from mild-mannered musician to the outrageous stage persona that the band was going for, and was thus the perfect band name.

“Gene only knows 110 percent. If it can’t be over the top, Gene the Werewolf wants nothing to do with it,” he said.

Guitarist and vocalist Drew Donegan described Gene the Werewolf’s sound as “classic rock with a modern vibe,” similar to what bands like Kiss, Def Leppard and Motley Crüe would sound like if they released their music today … a far cry from the pop-punk bands the band members had been in previously.

“We also like the term diamond-core, because diamond is the hardest rock known to man” Donegan said.

“It’s definitely the most different band we’ve ever been in,” Belan said.

Band members have previously been part of Pittsburgh-based bands Punchline, Clearview Kills and The Berlin Project.

Donegan said that although the band members have “all had our share of being in band that we thought were good and people were like, ‘Eh,’ people genuinely like the band.”

“We’ve gotten a lot of compliments behind the scenes when we leave interviews and things like that, and we’ve seen un-genuine.”

Plenty of bands aren’t shy about flaunting cocky bios and making no secret of their self-perceived talent, but few take it as far as Gene the Werewolf.

“We used to say we were the best rock band, but by now I’d say we’re just the best band ever,” Donegan said.

Belan said that the fan reaction to the band has been “amazingly unbelievable. Our first show sold out in 20 minutes. For 500 or 600 people to come to see a band that hasn’t been around very long is ridiculous.”

Donegan said that Gene the Werewolf’s fan base is a “strange crossover” of people that liked the members’ previous bands — primarily fans ranging from 15 to 20 years old — and older listeners.

“Older fans that grew up when Guns N’ Roses was on the radio tend to get it easier,” Donegan said.

“I guarantee if you give this CD to your parents, you won’t get it back,” Belan added.

Belan said of the differences in audiences’ reactions based on age, “At a younger show the crowd moves around a lot and you get mosh pits. Older fans will just stand there and watch, and we’re like, ‘Do they like us or do they hate us?’”

Donegan’s favorite concert memory shows how much he wants people to rock out to the music.

“I’ll never forget it: There was a 19-year-old college student up in front dancing with these, like, 40-something women. This kid was just getting down, and that is exactly what this should be. We want people to come to shows and have a good time. [If they don’t], it’s like going to a party and not partying,” Donegan said.

The band finished recording its six-track EP debut album Light Me Up more than a year ago.

“We’re bursting at the seams to release this thing,” he said.

Light Me Up will be available on iTunes, Rhapsody, Amazon.com, Smartpunk.com and at all Pittsburgh Hot Topic stores on Oct. 20, and it will be given away at the release show on Oct. 24.

“It is imperative [for fans to know] that you will get a copy of the record free at the release show. It’s super lame to have a release party without giving away the album. Why would you call it a party if fans have to pay for the cover and the record? That’s exactly the opposite of a party.” Belan said.

The release party will also be the debut of the band’s music video for its song “Superhero.” Tickets will be available online on showclix.com, as well as at the door.