Opinions mixed on Sutherland dining

By JORDAN FREMUTH

Even though students who live in Sutherland Hall and the other residence halls on the hill… Even though students who live in Sutherland Hall and the other residence halls on the hill no longer have to trek to Towers’ Market Central for all-you-can-eat dining, reaction to the expanded meal plan has been mixed.

Some appreciate the convenience of the new system, while others complain that the food choices available in Sutherland aren’t up to par.

The changes to the Sutherland meal plans came right after students returned from Thanksgiving break.

The Student Government Board worked with Sodexho to implement the changes and continues to develop new ideas for campus dining.

According to Janeace Slifka, chairwoman of SGB’s food committee, the changes were implemented because feedback obtained in Food Committee meetings showed it was “something that students living on upper campus said they wanted to see.”

Slifka went on to say of Sodexho – Pitt’s official dining service – that, “if students want something and there is a way for Sodexho to accommodate it then they gladly will.”

“We have reserved one area of Sutherland dining hall and dedicated it to a meal pass facility in response to suggestions by students and our annual survey,” explained Sodexho’s resident district manager Jodi Ludovici.

Slifka added, “There is a section of the dining hall that is all-you-care-to-eat where students can use their meal passes. Students have their choice of burgers, waffles, salads and daily features.”

However, some students have complained that these offerings are too limited.

Sophomore Megan Kelly said the daily feature menu item often resembles “some kind of meal you’d see in your high school cafeteria.

“The food really is not good, especially when compared to what’s offered at other places on campus. We hardly have any selection either,” she added.

But students have good things to say about the plan, too.

“It is convenient because you do not have to go all the way down the hill to use your meal passes.” Sam Beckowski, a freshman who lives in Sutherland, said.

Kelly said that, to her, convenience is not a strong selling point. “I’d rather walk to Market Central in the snow than eat at Sutherland,” she said.

But when asked for her overall opinion, Kelly replied, “I will say it’s nice to be able to get rid of the extra meal passes while the semester’s coming to a close.”

Overall, student feedback on the expanded meal plan in Sutherland was similarly mixed.

“I wish I could use my meal passes on more things,” freshman Michelle Gilmore said.

Gilmore is a vegetarian and is lactose intolerant, and many of the current dining options do not suit her needs.

She said she wishes she could use her meal passes on items like “the noodle and rice bowls in the organic section.” But she also recognizes that it isn’t practical for students to be able to use their passes for everything.

“It doesn’t make sense to use passes for things like the ice cream bars,” she said.

Slifka praised Sodexho for compromising with students and offering more choices and said more improvements are in the works.

“Any improvements that I would want to see for next year are already being discussed and considered by Sodexho,” she said. “I have been extremely pleased with their receptiveness to our concerns.”

When asked about improvements for next year, Ludovici said, “We are in the planning stages for a redesign of our services for next year and the feedback is a great tool.”