Panthers look to impress scouts at Pro Day

By Isaac Saul

Nearly three weeks after the NFL combine, six former Pitt football players got another chance to… Nearly three weeks after the NFL combine, six former Pitt football players got another chance to work out in front of NFL scouts at Pitt’s annual Pro Day.

Dion Lewis, Jabaal Sheard, Jason Pinkston, Jon Baldwin, Greg Romeus and Dom DeCicco all set out to impress scouts at the UPMC Sports Performance Complex in the South Side yesterday.

The NFL Combine is a week-long opportunity for college football players to impress coaches and scouts through physical and mental test, such as the 40-yard dash, vertical jump and interviews. Universities hold Pro Days so NFL Scouts can travel to see players perform many of the same tests that take place at the combine, although the media isn’t permitted to watch the event. The first round of the NFL Draft will take place on April 28.

Lewis, who ran a 4.57 40-yard dash at the NFL Combine, shaved more than a 10th of a second off his time at the Pro Day, running a 4.46.

“I just wanted to run faster here today, and I did that,” Lewis said after the workouts. “All the other stuff comes natural to me. I’m not a track athlete, I’m a football player.”

Lewis’ slowest 40-yard time on Tuesday was 4.51, which was still faster than his Combine times.

After rushing for 13 touchdowns last season for the Panthers, Lewis received some public criticism for declaring for the draft following Pitt’s bowl game against Kentucky. For Lewis, it was all just about making sure the timing was right.

“When you’re a running back, you don’t have long,” Lewis said. “You take a pounding every day, and your career is shorter. I just thought it was time to chase my dream.”

The man who often cleared the way on Lewis’ touchdown runs, Henry Hynoski, injured his hamstring at the NFL combine. Hynoski sat out yesterday’s Pro Day.

“I was close to being a hundred percent,” Hynoski said. “But not quite. So I’m going to leave myself open at the end of March or beginning of April to meet with some teams.”

Hynoski said he has been in consistent contact with the Baltimore Ravens, the Cleveland Browns, the New York Giants and the Arizona Cardinals. Although he’s already received some positive attention, Hynoski still has some work to do, especially because of his injury.

“I need to keep rehabbing, keep working out and keep training,” Hynoski said. “Once I finish up with rehab, I’ll leave myself available for teams that want to work out. Once that’s done, I’m going to go home with my family and hope for the best.”

Defensive end Sheard worked out at the Pro Day, but hadn’t received his times as of yesterday afternoon.

“I didn’t get my times back,” Sheard said. “But I think it went well. I got a lot of good feedback. They [the scouts] said I worked hard and looked smooth.”

For Sheard and the other players, the looming NFL lockout isn’t slowing them down.

“I know it’s a lockout, but you still visit teams and teams still come see you workout,” Sheard said after the workouts. “You need to stay in shape and get ready for the drills.”

For a player like DeCicco, who wasn’t at the NFL Combine, Pro Day was a chance for him to show scouts his abilities.

For Pinkston andBaldwin , who  worked out at the combine, the three weeks since have been a time to get faster and stronger and keep trying to impress. Greg Romeus was also unable to participate in Pro Day as he is still recovering from the knee injury he suffered during the season.