Seven Pitt students studying in Japan safe

By Amy Friedenberger

The seven Pitt students studying abroad in Japan are unharmed and plan to remain in the… The seven Pitt students studying abroad in Japan are unharmed and plan to remain in the earthquake-stricken country, a Pitt official said.

The students had been studying in cities away at least 100 miles away from the affected area when the 8.9-magnitude earthquake and ensuing tsunami slammed northeastern Honshu early Friday morning. Since then, a number of the country’s nuclear reactors have been shut down or are in danger of a meltdown.

Jeff Whitehead, director of the Study Abroad Office, said in an e-mail yesterday that communication with the students has not been difficult because none of them are studying in areas directly affected by the earthquake and accompanying tsunami.

He said that all seven students, host institutions and emergency contacts were reached within hours of the earthquake.

Three of the students are studying at Konan University in Kobe, with another studying at the University of Kobe in the same city. One student is studying at the University of Kitakyushu on the island of Kyushu, another is studying at Ritsumeikan University in Kyoto, and another is participating in the IES study abroad program in Nagoya.

“Although everyone in Japan — and the world — has been impacted in some way by the earthquake and subsequent tsunami, neither our students nor their programs and universities have been faced with any interruption,” Whitehead said.

Friday’s earthquake was the strongest earthquake in Japan’s recorded history, according to the U.S. Geologic Survey records. The quake was the fifth-largest in the world since records began in the 1800s.

The National Weather Service canceled all tsunami warnings and advisories for the United States because damaging tsunamis are no longer expected to impact the West Coast, Alaska or British Columbia.

The Department of State said in a travel warning that expires April 1 that U.S. citizens should avoid all nonessential travel to Japan, and that food and water supplies might be temporarily interrupted in affected areas.

The department’s website said that “strong aftershocks are likely for weeks following a massive earthquake such as this one… Due to the continuing possibility of strong aftershocks, Japan remains at risk for further tsunamis.”

Areas not hit by the quakes might also feel their effects. The State Department’s website said that controlled rolling blackouts affected parts of Japan starting Monday morning.

News sources in the country have reported about 1,500 confirmed deaths and Japanese officials have predicted the toll to reach 10,000.

All seven Pitt students currently plan to remain in Japan, Whitehead said. He also said he does not expect the natural disasters to reduce participation in the Study Abroad program.

“Although we are always concerned with the state of world affairs and monitor them very closely, Study Abroad remains a popular and integral part in a student’s education at the University of Pittsburgh,” Whitehead said. “We are anticipating the largest number of participants ever in the summer programs in 2011.”

Charles Nieman — the interim director of the Office of International Services at Pitt — said that although Pitt has not begun any relief efforts, it will take a few weeks before people realize what kind of assistance is most needed in Japan.

He said that the Office of International Services — which helps international students and faculty members deal with immigration and other federal regulations — is available to support any students who have come to Pitt from Japan — there were 25 at Pitt in the fall, according to the University’s factbook. The embassy or consulate can also assist students who are trying to contact family members in Japan.