SGB encourages calm, pride

By By Gretchen Andersen

Pitt students gathered outside the William Pitt Union Monday to show appreciation for the Pitt… Pitt students gathered outside the William Pitt Union Monday to show appreciation for the Pitt police and the work the officers have been doing regarding the threats.

Sponsored by Student Government Board, Pitt Pride Day drew students with free popcorn and pizza as they signed their names on a bright yellow “Thank You Pitt Police” poster.

After signing the thank you poster, students got their picture taken with a message they wrote on a piece of paper. Some students wrote “Keep Calm” while others wrote “Hail to Pitt.” The pictures will be used to make a Cathedral of Learning-shaped collage.

Freshman Jack Pidgeon walked over to sign the board soon after the event started at 10 a.m.

“We’ve heard people … are talking badly about Pitt. The police are doing everything they can do. I have respect for the police for being diligent and for sacrificing time with their families,” Pidgeon said.

“Signing a big thank you card is the least we can do,” Pidgeon said.

Anna Mullin, a sophomore, said she signed the Thank You Pitt Police board because “they’ve been working like crazy.” Mullin said she lives off campus and hasn’t had many classes interrupted.

“They are doing a great job in handling this — not overreacting but being safe,” Mullin said.

Today marked an increase in security on Pitt’s campus. Police searched through bags and checked IDs before students entered several campus buildings. The heightened security comes after a weekend of bomb threats and dorm evacuations.

Freshman Sharon Bomberger said she feels police are taking the right steps. Bomberger lives in Litchfield Towers and has been evacuated from her dorm in the middle of the night.

“It’s kind of annoying,” Bomberger said. “I’m kind of expecting [evacuations] now.”

Freshman Michelle Francis has also had to evacuate from her dorm. Francis, who lives in Sutherland Hall, was evacuated both Friday and Saturday night. She said her mom is nervous.

“I hope the police realize how much we appreciate their work,” Francis said.

SGB board member Gordon Louderback said Pitt Pride Day was organized to bring the Pitt community together and raise the spirits of students around campus.

Louderback also plugged the “See Something, Say Something” campaign, an SGB initiative designed to encourage students to report suspicious behavior.

Louderback said that, besides the campaign, SGB encourages students to come to SGB for help or to ask questions.