Students Bash, in spite of bad weather

By CHRISMAS BAILEY

A handful of people meandered about Bigelow Boulevard on Saturday, enduring the cold, rainy… A handful of people meandered about Bigelow Boulevard on Saturday, enduring the cold, rainy Pittsburgh afternoon to participate in the annual Bigelow Bash. Hosted by the Pitt Program Council, the all-day event was split into two sections because of the inclement weather. While musical performances remained outside on the Boulevard, the crafts and activities tables moved into the shelter of the William Pitt Union’s Assembly Room. Many more students came out later in the day to see headliners Mae and The Starting Line.

Battle of the Bands winners Beats and Verbs opened the show with a set that lasted for approximately an hour. The five-man hip-hop group just formed in February, but they came to the Bash with 10 original songs, including “Two Miracles Late,” “Scream!” and “City Lights.” The group finished their performance with “Pittsburgh, USA” — a song they had just written the night before — and “Chill Wit U.”

A small but dedicated group of students stood directly in front of the stage, in the rain, to show support for the band.

“To know that they at least like our music and they’re not just lying is really great,” said front man and Pitt sophomore Marcus Harris. After their set, the band members stayed at the show to see the rest of the groups. Beats and Verbs also performed a set of different songs at the Spice Cafe later that night.

Inside the Union, more students gathered to enjoy the array of fair-like activities offered by Talent Network, a full-service entertainment provider. Jewelry making, antique photo posing, massages and henna tattooing were some of the popular choices among students. Skip Colbert of The Art Spot, also airbrushed T-shirts, while another artist drew caricatures on the other side the Assembly Room.

After Beats and Verbs, another Pitt rap group, the Passion of the Crate, took the stage to play for the small audience. Dan “Dabbler” Snyder, Brandon “Bonics” Glova and Pete Mudge, a.k.a. Nice Rec, scratched and rapped several songs, on topics ranging from deceased relatives and growing up, to Pittsburgh’s infamous weather and smoking marijuana. Passion of the Crate has performed at every Bigelow Bash since they were formed in 2001. They ended their set with a “big shout-out to the pope” and continued to DJ as a hoard of students filtered into the street for Mae and the Starting Line.

Preceding Mae’s performance, Ben Baltzer dominated a pie-eating contest held in front of the stage.

“Go ahead and judge me, I dare you,” Baltzer said, taunting onlookers as blueberry pie dripped from his nose and chin.

Mae took the stage later than scheduled, but PPC staffers were pleased with the large turnout of students who braved the worsening weather. Chuck Taylor sneakers and emo angst abounded as straight-edge kids and substance abusers alike gathered as fans of the headlining bands. Mae performed nine songs, including “Suspension,” “Anything” and “Cover Me.” They ended their set with “Soundtrack to Our Movie.”

With the Union’s activities completed and dark clouds rolling overhead, The Starting Line took the stage as the last performers at the Bigelow Bash. Native Pennsylvanians, the group members managed to play, as they tried to ignore the dropping temperature.

“The cold wind chill is offsetting my sweat,” said lead vocalist and bassist Ken Vasoli, looking to the bright side of performing under such conditions.

“I’d like to introduce you to your new favorite Starting Line song,” Vasoli said. Plugging their upcoming project, the band members played what will be track 12 on their new album, which drops May 10.

After an encore, Vasoli and his three bandmates, Tom Gryskiewicz, Mike Golla and Matt Watts, mingled with fans and signed autographs.

Mae and The Starting Line kicked off their tour earlier in the week in Pittston, Pa., and will join the ranks of The Offspring and Thrice for the Van’s Warped Tour this summer.