Student dies while interning in Spain

The University confirmed on Monday that a Pitt student who was interning abroad in Spain has died.

The U.S. Department of State has informed the University that Oeshae Morgan, who would have begun her senior year as a political science and economics major in the fall, passed away in Madrid. Morgan was in Madrid, Spain, this summer as part of Pitt’s College of Business Administration’s International Internship Program. The Department of State declined to release information about the time and circumstances of Morgan’s death.

“We express our deepest condolences to the family and friends of Ms. Morgan,” the official said in an email. “Embassy officials are in contact with her family and are providing consular assistance. Out of respect for the family, we have no further comment.”

A department spokesman declined to say when Morgan passed away. Pitt spokeswoman Cara Masset said that Morgan’s passing is the first and only time a student studying abroad with the International Internship Program, which began in the summer of 2010, has died.

In an official statement, the University encouraged grieving students to visit the University Counseling Center.

“[Morgan] will be missed by many, and our thoughts and prayers are with her family and friends,” the University said in the statement. “The University is providing support and assistance to the family as well as to the Pitt students who are grieving over this loss.”