Going the distance: Four ways tech is improving relationships

Without FaceTime, there’s no way I would have been able to date my boyfriend for the past two years. He’s three time zones away at University of California, Berkeley, across the country from Pitt. 

If this were a few decades ago, my relationship would never last. Both in separate states, we would have only been able to connect through written letters or landline calls. Today, though, with the influx of long-distance technology, it’s not only possible — but worth it — to endure a long distance relationship.

Of course, not all forms of communication are created equal, as explained by the Media Richness Theory, developed in 1984 by Richard L. Daft and Robert H. Lengel. According to this theory, the less social cues transmitted — such as facial expressions, body language or tone of voice — the less rich the correspondence. So, video chatting over FaceTime really does trump texting, even if you are an emoji fiend.

Although new technology cannot completely eradicate the restraints of distance, it does allow for quicker, more personal forms of communication. According to a February 2014 study by the Pew Research Center on couples and technology use, 66 percent of U.S. adults who are married or in committed relationships use technology to stay connected, whether it be through emailing, calling, texting or video chatting. Young couples in general especially report feeling closer to their spouse or partner thanks to technology.

We get it — technology is an important part of all relationships. But these four recent developments are improving the quality of long distance relationships in ways you can’t ignore. 

Want to plan a surprise trip to see your lover? The iPhone app “Simply Us” helps long distance couples plan and coordinate their schedules. It’s an automatically updating, shared calendar that either you or your significant other can add events to. I personally use Google Docs to plan my time with my boyfriend, but the function is similar. Whichever you decide, using technology to streamline dates with your lover has definitely simplified and beautified the whole planning experience.

Missing your significant other’s touch? The iPhone app “Couple” has a feature called “ThumbKiss,” giving you that long-awaited touch — sort of. Partners touch the same spot on the screen, emitting a vibration on both phones, mimicking real touch. Users can also share to-do lists, set reminders, find events and restaurants for the next date night and sketch together in real time, allowing you to play a game of hangman while you both have a break between classes. 

Looking for intimate contact with someone miles away? You and your significant other can purchase “Pillow Talk” wristbands for each other. They come with a speaker that you put under your pillow, and the wristband picks up your heartbeat and transmits it to the speaker under the other person’s pillow. You’ll be able to hear the real time heartbeat of your loved one, making it feel like you’re lying on their chest. The wristbands are undergoing beta-testing in the U.K. and will be available online soon.

Aching for your loved one’s arms? Consider purchasing a “Hug Shirt.” A “Hug Shirt” is a shirt containing sensors that feel the strength, duration and location of the touch, in addition to the skin warmth and the heartbeat rate of the sender. Then, it recreates the sensation of touch and warmth of the hug to the Hug Shirt of the distant loved one. 

These inventions involve more social cues — like touch and sensation — than your traditional form of long-distance contact, making it a richer conversation. These new ways of keeping in touch erase old-school methods like letter-writing or email. Why type out “I love you,” when you have the option to say it face to face? Well, screen to screen.

I’m not the first to admit it, but long distance relationships really do suck sometimes. But until teleportation is made possible, go ahead and buy that Hug Shirt for your loved one — it helps.

Cecile Truong primarily writes about college and social issues for The Pitt News.

Write to Cecile at [email protected].