Editorial: Casual Friday 4/5/13

By Editorial Staff

Let the games begin

According to the San Francisco Chronicle, the city of Philadelphia is planning to create supersized versions of classic video games such as Pong, Snake and Space Invaders. They are recreating the video games on the outside of the Cira Centre skyscraper by embedding hundreds of LED lights into the facade of the building. Gamers will use huge joysticks to play the games from across the Schuylkill River. The plan is part of a series of events planned for the city’s annual Philly Tech Week. Hopefully Pitt will take inspiration from this and craft a version for us — we suggest computerized beer pong on the side of the Cathedral.

Jersey boys

State troopers in New Jersey recently arrested three men for smoking marijuana in the parking lot of police barracks, according to an article in the Miami Herald. Apparently a trooper leaving the barracks for night patrol smelled marijuana coming from the car, and the three men were charged with drug possession. According to the police, they were waiting for another man who was picking up paperwork inside the police station and was also charged with drug possession. According to the police, the men claimed they didn’t expect to see state troopers in the parking lot. Perhaps these North Jersey-ites are suffering from an identity crisis and are trying to cultivate a “Jersey Shore” image — too bad it had to end in arrest.

Finding Jesus

According to the Huffington Post, Patti Burke, a woman from Melbourne, Fla., found a special Goldfish cracker with an imprint that she believes to be a cross and crown, symbolic of Jesus. She found the Goldfish during the week leading up to Easter, lending it special religious importance. She apparently called the company and asked if it was running a special promotion, and the company said there was “no way” a Goldfish like that could have been made in their factories. This sighting, along with the wave of people who claimed to have seen Jesus’ face in burnt toast a few years ago, seem to be giving the “loaves and fishes” parable new life.

Cheeseheads

According to ABC News, a man named Veniamin Balika is accused of stealing 42,000 pounds of Muenster cheese from a factory in Wisconsin. He apparently went to the cheese company with paperwork that said he was there to pick up a shipment of cheese. He then loaded it into his truck and drove to New Jersey, where he allegedly planned to sell it at a rest stop, but instead, state police arrested him. Perhaps he had another motive for driving the cheese to New Jersey — the men smoking marijuana in the police parking lot probably had the munchies and could have put it to good use.