Kristan Hawkins speaks at the Turning Point USA event on Wednesday evening in the OHara Student Center.
Turning Point USA speaker Kristan Hawkins draws protest
By Emma Hannan and Kyra McCague April 19, 2024

Stallings finalizes staff with hiring of assistant Kevin Sutton

New Pitt basketball head coach Kevin Stallings finalized his coaching staff on Wednesday afternoon, as the school announced the hiring of Kevin Sutton as its third and final assistant coach.

Sutton most recently served as an assistant at Georgetown University from 2013 until this past season. His past stops include George Washington, James Madison and Old Dominion, as well as coaching numerous powerhouse high school teams.

It was at one of these high schools that Stallings first met Sutton, according to a University release.

“I got to know Kevin in 2007-08 when we were recruiting one of his players out of Montverde Academy,” said Stallings. “He has a wealth of experience and is an excellent teacher and mentor. Kevin is well connected in the recruiting world particularly at the prep school level and within the ACC footprint.”

Sutton has coached for 27 years, and, along with his experience at schools, has also worked with national teams. He’s served as an assistant for USA Basketball in three separate stints, coaching high school stars from across the nation.

He has also coached at various high school basketball camps country-wide, including the Nike Hoops Jamboree, Nike All-American Camp, Michael Jordan Flight School and the LeBron James Skills Academy.

Stallings said in the release that Sutton’s resume should speak for itself.

“When you ask people in the profession about Kevin the feedback is extremely positive and flattering,” Stallings said. “I am very excited to have him on our staff.”