Kristan Hawkins speaks at the Turning Point USA event on Wednesday evening in the OHara Student Center.
Turning Point USA speaker Kristan Hawkins draws protest
By Emma Hannan and Kyra McCague April 19, 2024

Kasich comes to Pittsburgh

Governor Kasich views the pictures in the Original Oyster House in Market Square. Alex Nally | Staff Photographer

Presidential hopeful John Kasich stopped in Pittsburgh Wednesday to visit the city closest to his hometown.

Kasich, who grew up in McKees Rocks and began his political career in Robinson Township, visited the Original Oyster House in Market Square before continuing on his campaign trail for a stop in Maryland. His visit comes shortly after fellow Republican candidate Donald Trump held a rally in Pittsburgh on March 13, and a week before the Pennsylvania primary election on April 26. On Thursday, he will visit the Penn State Brandywine campus for a town-hall meeting and the Valley Forge Casino resort in King of Prussia for a GOP reception and dinner.

Outside the Original Oyster House, Kasich told supporters about his childhood in McKees Rocks, when he worshipped Pirates player Roberto Clemente and learned “Pittsburgh values” of taking care of one another.

“The real strength lies in all of us to be hopeful, to care about somebody else,” Kasich said. “That’s what I learned growing up in Pittsburgh. That’s who I am.”

At time of publication, Kasich held 147 delegates in the Republican race but is hopeful that he will win more states in the coming weeks, including Pennsylvania. In order to win the Republican nomination, a candidate must receive 1,237 delegates.

Kasich said these types of events will go a long way to secure his success in the “delicate battle” that the Republican candidates are fighting until the convention. While his goal was to connect with voters, Kasich also said he enjoyed being back at the Original Oyster House.

“I’d like to talk longer, but I’ve got a fish sandwich to eat,” Kasich said.