Man charged for October death of Pitt employee

A crowd gathers outside Carnegie Music Hall to honor Susan Hicks, who lost her life in a cycling accident on Friday.  Wenhao Wu | Staff Photographer

A crowd gathers outside Carnegie Music Hall to honor Susan Hicks, who lost her life in a cycling accident on Friday. Wenhao Wu | Staff Photographer

By Dale Shoemaker / News Editor

Six months after the wreck, Pittsburgh police are filing charges against a man for the death of the late Susan Hicks.

On Friday, police said in a release they were finalizing paperwork for the arrest of David Witherspoon, 49, of Brackenridge. Witherspoon is charged with homicide by vehicle for the incident that killed Hicks while she was biking home from work in late October in Oakland.

Hicks, who was 34, was the assistant director of academic affairs at Pitt’s Center for Russian and East European Studies. Her death sparked a city-wide debate about bike lanes and road safety.

Witherspoon, who is currently in the Allegheny County Jail on theft charges, awaits a preliminary hearing that a judge has not set yet.