Wrestling: Stottlemyer retires after 34 years

Rande Stottlemyer, the winningest coach in Pitt wrestling history, has retired, according to a statement released by Pitt Monday. The Pitt alum had coached the team, for which he was a three-time All-American as a student, since 1979, a year after he graduated.

“I would like to thank the University of Pittsburgh for the great opportunity they gave me as a young man, fresh out of college,” Stottlemyer, 54, said in the release. “I have been blessed to have lived my passion for 35 years. I hope in that time I have been able to make a positive impact on a lot of young men’s lives. It has been an honor to be their coach and to promote the great sport of wrestling.”

He finished with an all-time record of 304-230-12, leading Pitt to win the last three Eastern Wrestling League tournament titles, as well as three regular-season titles since 2010.

Pitt athletic director Steve Pederson praised him.

“Very few coaches retire at the top of their game, and yet Rande Stottlemyer is doing just that,” Pederson said. “Not only has Rande led our wrestling program to the top of the Eastern Wrestling League, but he is also held in the highest regard by everyone in our Athletic Department. It would be hard to sufficiently put into words what Rande has meant to Pitt and to each of us individually.”

Stottlemyer will serve in a senior advisory role within the Athletic Department to Olympic sports.

Jason Peters, an assistant in the program for the past decade who had received the title of “head coach in waiting” this past season, will take over the position as the team prepares to begin competition as a member of the Atlantic Coast Conference in the fall. Also remaining on staff is Matt Kocher, a former All-American Pitt wrestler (2004-2008) who has served as an assistant coach for the past four seasons.