A member of Pitts swimming and diving team goes up for air while swimming during a meet against Army in Trees Hall on Sept 22, 2023.
Pitt swim and dive competes on national stage this week
By Aidan Kasner, Senior Staff Writer • 12:27 pm

Pitt coach Dan Fisher guides Team USA to undefeated start at Pan Am Cup

Pete Madia/Pitt Athletics
Pitt volleyball head coach Dan Fisher and Team USA earned bronze medals at the 2016 Pan Am Cup. Photographer: Pete Madia/Pitt Athletics

Pitt women’s volleyball head coach Dan Fisher has the U.S. Women’s National Team off to a sizzling start at the 2016 Pan American Cup in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic.

Team USA swept its opener against Peru 3-0 July 2 and did the same in its match against Trinidad and Tobago the following day. The Americans rallied for a five-set, 3-2 victory July 4 against Cuba to take sole possession of first place in Pool B, then cruised to another sweep against Costa Rico July 5.

The team will finish up pool play against Argentina July 6 at 6 p.m.

The Americans had little trouble dispatching Peru in their opening match, winning by scores of 25-20, 25-19 and 27-25. Rhamat Alhassan led the way with 12 points for Team USA.

In its second match of the tournament, Team USA cruised to victory against Trinidad and Tobago by scores of 25-11, 25-13 and 25-19. Nikki Taylor scored a match-high 10 points for the team.

The top two teams in Pool B — USA and Cuba — met in a special Independence Day showdown July 4, and the battle for first place lived up to the billing.

After dropping the first set, 19-25, Team USA bounced back to win the second set, 25-20. But the team found itself in a 2-1 hole after losing the third set, 18-25, needing to win the final two sets to remain undefeated.

Team USA did just that, dominating the fourth and fifth sets by scores of 25-15 and 15-7 to cap off the come-from-behind victory. Micha Hancock tied a Pan Am Cup record with nine aces and scored 11 points total, while Alex Holston led the team with 16 points.

The team put on its most dominant performance yet against Costa Rico July 5, taking a 3-0 sweep by scores of 25-16, 25-10 and 25-18.

Fisher is attempting to win his second international tournament in as many tries as the Women’s National Team head coach.

In Fisher’s first tournament at the helm, the Americans brought home the gold medal at the 2015 Pan American Games by sweeping Brazil in the finals. The 3-0 victory sealed Team USA’s first Pan Am Games title since 1967.

The Panthers’ head coach has also experienced success with Team USA as an assistant.

As offensive coordinator, Fisher helped lead the team to the gold medal at the 2012 Pan Am Cup — sparking a run of three gold medals in the last four years at the tournament. He also acted as an assistant coach at the World University Games in 2007.

Fisher owns a 67-29 record for a .698 winning percentage in three seasons as Pitt’s head coach.