By Emma Hannan and Kyra McCague 8:57 am
By Julia Smeltzer, Digital Manager • 2:23 am

By Emma Hannan and Kyra McCague 8:57 am

Bill Clinton to speak in Homewood neighborhood

Just days after a visit from Democratic vice presidential candidate Tim Kaine and current Vice President Joe Biden, Former President Bill Clinton will swing by Pittsburgh this Friday for the Democratic party’s latest stop in the Steel City.

At 11:45 a.m. on Sept. 9, the Pennsylvania Democrats will host the potential first gentleman at the Greater Pittsburgh Coliseum in the Homewood North neighborhood.

According to 2010 census data, that neighborhood consists of 93 percent black residents, a demographic Hillary Clinton has consistently fared better with than her opponent, GOP candidate Donald Trump. A recent NBC News/SurveyMonkey poll reported that 87 percent of black voters support Hillary Clinton and eight percent of black voters support Trump.

In Pennsylvania at large, Clinton has maintained a lead over Trump since July. A CBS/YouGov poll this week placed Clinton eight points ahead of the Republican candidate. And a Washington Post-SurveyMonkey poll conducted in all 50 states, released Tuesday, placed Pennsylvania as one of six states that “leans democratic” and estimated Clinton has a four-point lead over Trump in Pennsylvania.

According to a release from the Clinton campaign, Bill Clinton’s speech on Friday will focus on the importance of this year’s election for Pennsylvania voters and their families and will be encouraging Pennsylvania residents to register to vote.

As an official campaign event, his speech will emphasize Hillary Clinton’s ability to be a strong leader for the country, the release said.

Bill Clinton has campaigned for his wife in Pittsburgh before. On April 20, less than a week before the Pennsylvania primary election, Bill Clinton spoke on Pitt-Johnstown’s campus and in South Side, encouraging Pennsylvania voters to turn out and support Hillary Clinton in the primary.

Bill Clinton’s stop in Pittsburgh later this week highlights the Democrats’ focus on key battleground states like Pennsylvania this cycle. Hillary Clinton hosted a rally at Carnegie Mellon University’s campus on April 6 during which Mayor Peduto spoke and officially endorsed Clinton’s campaign. Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders also campaigned here prior to the primaries.

The last Republican to visit Pittsburgh was Trump, who made a campaign stop at the airport in June. He previously visited Oakland in April for a town hall-style meeting at Soldiers and Sailors Memorial Hall and Museum.