Kristan Hawkins speaks at the Turning Point USA event on Wednesday evening in the OHara Student Center.
By Emma Hannan and Kyra McCague April 19, 2024

Pitt football season preview: More of the same

Although he isn’t allowing media access to the players, Pat Narduzzi spoke about the upcoming Pitt-Penn State at a teleconference Wednesday. Matt Hawley / Staff Photographer.

Pitt opened its football season with a 28-7 win against the Villanova Wildcats, handily dispatching the notoriously scrappy Football Championship Subdivision –– formerly I-AA –– opponent.

Although the Wildcats nearly defeated the last three Football Bowl Subdivision –– formerly I-A –– teams they played, nobody expected Villanova to upset the Panthers.

Now that Pitt is 1-0 to start the season, the team’s most challenging stretch of the schedule gets underway with a game against in-state rival Penn State this Saturday at Heinz Field, followed by trips to take on preseason top-25 teams Oklahoma State and North Carolina.

Here is a forecast for how the rest of Pitt’s season will play out.

Sept. 10 – vs. Penn State

The Panthers’ most anticipated home game takes place in week two when they renew their rivalry with Penn State in a battle for Keystone State supremacy. Both teams are led by strong defenses and running games, and neither is built for a shoot-out. The game could come down to a key play, like a missed field goal, and if week one is any indication, the Nittany Lions have the superior special teams.

Prediction: Penn State 16, Pitt 13

Sept. 17 – at Oklahoma State

Pitt travels to Stillwater, Oklahoma, in week three for its first away game of the season, to face off against one of its strongest opponents, the No. 22 Oklahoma State Cowboys. The Cowboys feature a high-powered offense, and if they jump out to a multiple-score lead, it could be virtually impossible for the Panthers to stage a comeback.

Prediction: Oklahoma State 38, Pitt 17

Sept. 24 – at North Carolina

The Panthers wrap up a three-game gauntlet when they visit last year’s ACC Coastal Division champion North Carolina. The Tar Heels started the season ranked inside the top 25, but lost at home to Georgia, 33-24. Pitt will need to keep explosive North Carolina receiver Ryan Switzer in check in order to keep pace with the Tar Heels.

Prediction: Pitt 27, North Carolina 24

Oct. 1 – vs. Marshall

Pitt will return home to the friendly confines of Heinz Field for a showdown with the Marshall Thundering Herd, one of college football’s most dangerous teams outside the Power Five conferences. The Panthers won’t have to worry about Byron Leftwich throwing bombs or Randy Moss catching them on this year’s iteration of the Thundering Herd, but Marshall is no pushover.

Prediction: Pitt 34, Marshall 13

Oct. 8 – vs. Georgia Tech

Perhaps Pitt’s most anticipated home game of the year other than Penn State, the Panthers will break out their royal-blue-and-mustard-yellow throwback uniforms for homecoming week against the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets. Georgia Tech got its first win of the season in week one against Boston College after a 3-9 season last year, but Pitt should have no trouble taking the sting out of the Yellow Jackets.

Prediction: Pitt 31, Georgia Tech 14

Oct. 15 – at Virginia

New head coach Bronco Mendenhall’s tenure with the Virginia Cavaliers –– the ACC Coastal Division’s perennial doormat –– got off to the worst start imaginable in a 37-20 blowout loss to the Richmond Spiders. Things won’t get any better for Mendenhall and the Cavaliers when they host the Panthers.

Prediction: Pitt 40, Virginia 17

Oct. 27 – vs. Virginia Tech

Pitt will host fellow ACC Coastal Division contender Virginia Tech for a crucial Thursday night contest in late October, where the winner will gain an advantage in the race with North Carolina and Miami for the Coastal Division crown. Pitt enjoyed plenty of success against legendary Hokies head coach Frank Beamer –– who retired after last season –– and there’s no reason to believe new VT head coach Justin Fuente will fare any better at Heinz Field.

Prediction: Pitt 23, Virginia Tech 21

Nov. 5 – at Miami, Florida

The Panthers will be tested with a demanding late-season road trip against a pair of high-quality ACC opponents, starting with a trip to take on the Miami Hurricanes and new head coach Mark Richt. The Hurricanes got off to a scorching start with Richt at the helm in a 70-3 season opening win against Florida A&M. This contest will certainly be a much more competitive battle than that, and may be Pitt’s most exciting game of the season.

Prediction: Miami 30, Pitt 27

Nov. 12 – at Clemson

Without a doubt, Pitt’s most difficult matchup on the schedule will take place against the defending ACC champion Clemson Tigers, led by junior quarterback Deshaun Watson –– a leading Heisman Trophy candidate. The Tigers didn’t seem too dangerous escaping week one with a 19-13 triumph at Auburn, but there’s no question they should be one of the very best teams in the country again in 2016.

Prediction: Clemson 44, Pitt 19

Nov. 19 – vs. Duke

Pitt returns home for the final two games of the season, starting with a meeting with the upstart ACC Coastal Division rival Duke Blue Devils. Running back James Conner should be the one most anticipating this game, having ran for 263 yards and three touchdowns the last time he took the field against the Blue Devils.

Prediction: Pitt 33, Duke 17

Nov. 26 – vs. Syracuse

The Panthers’ regular season comes to a close at Heinz Field against the Syracuse Orange, one of Pitt’s biggest rivals in basketball, but not so much on the gridiron. Coming off a 4-8 record a year ago, the Orange got off to a quick start with a 33-7 win over Colgate University to start the 2016 season –– but they will be outclassed in the season finale against the Panthers.

Prediction: Pitt 36, Syracuse 13

Final regular season record: 8-4 overall (6-2 ACC)