Tulsa Shock select Brianna Kiesel in WNBA draft

As a finalist for the Nancy Lieberman Award, which is awarded to the best point guard in women’s college basketball, Brianna Kiesel knows what it feels like to be on top.

But with one call, she is going to have to start from the bottom all over again.

During Thursday night’s Women’s National Basketball Association Draft, the Tulsa Shock selected Kiesel with the 13th overall pick, the first pick in the second round. 

“It feels amazing. I’m so excited, and it’s like a blessing just seeing my name up there,” Kiesel said. “I’m just blessed to have this opportunity to play professionally with some of the best players in the league.”

Kathy McConnell-Miller, Pitt head coach Suzie McConnell-Serio’s sister, served as a Shock assistant coach before leaving Tulsa to become an assistant coach at Pitt.

The Shock, which went 12-22 last year, had already selected Amanda Zahui B. from the University of Minnesota with the second overall pick of the draft.

ACC coaches named Kiesel to the First Team All-ACC and to the All-ACC Defensive Team following her 2014-2015 senior season. She averaged 18.2 points, 5.0 rebounds and 4.6 assists per game.

Kiesel is also Pitt’s first WNBA pick since the Detroit Shock picked Shavonte Zellous in 2009 and the second draft selection in program history.

The Shock play their first regular season game June 5.

BRIANNA KIESEL SELECTED 13TH IN THE 2015 WNBA DRAFT TO THE TULSA SHOCK pic.twitter.com/Z0TTaYI1cp

— Pitt Basketball (@PittWomensHoops) April 17, 2015