People sit inside of Redhawk Coffee on Meyran Avenue.

Pitt men’s soccer falls at Cleveland State, 1-0

Josh Coan (16) continued to lead the Panthers with two early plays against Cleveland State on Tuesday evening. John Hamilton | Senior Staff Photographer

The Pitt men’s soccer team traveled 135 miles to nearby Cleveland for its final non-conference showdown of the season Tuesday night only to suffer yet another shutout.

The Panthers (2-11-2) fell to the Cleveland State Vikings (6-6-2) on Tuesday, 1-0, suffering their fourth loss in a row in the matchup. Cleveland State also defeated Pitt in 2015, 2011 and 2010 and now leads the head-to-head series, 7-6-4.

The Vikings took control early with three shots in the first six minutes. The first two were on target, but Pitt goalkeeper Mikal Outcalt made the saves.

The Panthers responded with a pair of quick shots by forward Josh Coan and midfielder Alex Peperak, but both attempts were blocked away before they reached the net. From there, it was all Cleveland State for the rest of the half.

After another save by Outcalt just over 10 minutes into the game, the Vikings secured a couple of corner kicks but couldn’t get a shot on goal. The teams traded fouls and penalties before Cleveland State resumed its relentless attack on Pitt’s net.

The Vikings tallied seven more shots before halftime, but Outcalt continued to keep them off the scoreboard. The Panthers received a corner kick with 21 seconds left in the half but couldn’t turn it into a scoring chance.

Cleveland State outshot Pitt in the first half, 12-2, but the game remained scoreless.

The Vikings came out of the break just as aggressive as they were in the first as sophomore Noah Pio sent a barrage of shots at Outcalt within the first 10 minutes. Pitt’s keeper turned the first two away, but the third snuck into the lower right corner of the net for the first goal of the game.

The Panthers had a chance to tie it up on corner kicks in the 67th and 70th minute but couldn’t get a shot off.

Pitt’s defense blocked the rest of Cleveland State’s shots before they made it on goal, but the offense couldn’t even the score. The Vikings outshot the Panthers 19-4 for the game and held on for the 1-0 victory.

Still searching for its first ACC win of 2016, Pitt will host the No. 16 Virginia Cavaliers at Ambrose Urbanic Field in its final home game of the regular season on Friday, Oct. 21, at 7 p.m.