By Emma Hannan and Kyra McCague 8:57 am
By Julia Smeltzer, Digital Manager • 2:23 am

By Emma Hannan and Kyra McCague 8:57 am

Pitt women’s soccer thrashed by No. 18 North Carolina, 3-0

The Pitt women’s soccer team failed to get a shot on goal in a 3-0 loss to the No. 18 North Carolina Tar Heels Thursday night. Julia Zhu | Staff Photographer

The Pitt women’s soccer team fell to the No. 18 North Carolina Tar Heels, 3-0, in a weather-delayed ACC matchup at Ambrose Urbanic Field Thursday night.

Coming off a road loss to the Syracuse Orange Sunday afternoon, Pitt (2-13-1, 1-7-0 ACC) sought to beat both the rain and UNC (9-3-3, 4-2-2 ACC) but couldn’t get a shot on goal in the shutout loss. The Panthers lost two previous games in the series with the Tar Heels after joining the ACC in 2013.

“This game comes down to moments. If you don’t capitalize on those moments, whether it be defensively or offensively, you’re going to pay for it,” Pitt head coach Greg Miller said after the game.

Following an almost 90-minute delay, the action began with a swift attack in the second minute from UNC. Pitt defender Seyla Perez stopped the first shot of the game with a fast-action kick on a wide-open net.

In the 16th minute, Tar Heels forward Bridgette Andrzejewski found a clear path to the front of Panthers’ net and blasted a shot just inside the right post for a quick 1-0 UNC lead. Andrzejewski diced two Pitt defenders in her approach to the keeper.

The Tar Heels held off two subsequent pushes from the Panthers’ offense, then spent the next 15 minutes applying pressure in Pitt’s zone. Panthers defender Arielle Fernandez denied a series of attacks by sending them out of bounds.

Action stayed away from both nets for the remainder of the half until UNC received a corner kick in the 43rd minute. Tar Heels midfielder Dorian Bailey connected with midfielder Frances Reuland, but her shot went just wide. The half closed with a failed push by the Panthers, and UNC took a one-goal lead into the break.

“The first half I think we played a lot better, we were more composed … they had three beautiful shots, but we could have prevented them,” Perez said.

The Tar Heels entered the second half in control and unleashed a barrage of attacks deep in Pitt’s zone.

UNC midfielder Annie Kingman fired a cross deep in Panther territory in the 50th minute, just missing a follow-up strike. Less than two minutes later, Tar Heels midfielder Megan Buckingham received a cross from defender Julia Ashley and beat Pitt goalkeeper Taylor Francis, giving UNC a two-goal advantage early in the second half.

The Tar Heels weren’t satisfied, pushing right back with a top-shelf shot from forward Ru Mucherera to increase the lead to 3-0. Francis saw the shot the entire way, but missed the save by inches.

With three minutes left in the game, UNC midfielder Cameron Castleberry sent a cross off the fingertips of Francis, banking off the left post before being cleared by the Panthers defense.

Pitt’s defense held out for the majority of the half, attempting several pushes throughout. But the Tar Heels’ physicality kept the Panthers from placing any accurate shots on goal, giving UNC a 3-0 win and a shutout for goalkeeper Lindsey Harris.

“We missed some of those chances tonight to get back into the game, or make the game level, and that’s the frustrating part,” Miller said.

Pitt will host the No. 4 Duke Blue Devils for Senior Day in its home finale at Ambrose Urbanic Field Sunday, Oct. 23, at 1 p.m.