Turning Point USA speaker Kristan Hawkins draws protest
By Emma Hannan and Kyra McCague 8:57 am
By Julia Smeltzer, Digital Manager • 2:23 am

By Emma Hannan and Kyra McCague 8:57 am

The Pitt News wins awards for advertising, marketing

The Pitt News won third place in CMBAM’s sponsored content category for Financial Fridays.

College Media Business and Advertising Managers doled out nine awards to The Pitt News for excellence in business operations, marketing and promotions during the organization’s annual award ceremony Saturday.

CMBAM’s annual awards ceremony recognizes excellence in business and advertising operations, according to its website. Out of more than 600 entries from college newspapers across the country, The Pitt News won six team awards and three individual awards.

The Pitt News won first place in the sales promotion material category for postcards sent to potential advertisers for special editions.

Senior Lara Petorak won first place in the public relations or marketing manager category for her role as marketing manager.

Also in individual award categories, junior Business Manager Calvin Reif and junior Production Manager Maya Puskaric both won second place in the advertising manager and designer categories, respectively.

TPN took second place in the self-branded promotional giveaway for its phone wallet. A recruiting campaign that used testimonials from former TPN employees won second place in the self-promotion print ad campaign category, while the paper’s overall self-marketing plan won third place.

TPN won third best overall college media marketing program and cinched the Ultimate Innovation people’s choice award for Pitt Map — a guide to local restaurants and businesses in the area that all 2016 first-year students received for help navigating campus and its surrounding neighborhoods.