9-year-old boy who caught McCutchen’s 300th HR reveals significant milestones of his own
By Aidan Kasner, Senior Staff Writer • 7:31 pm

Football, baseball land New Jersey product Matt Alaimo

Head Coach Pat Narduzzi is entering his third year at the helm of the program looking to build on two consecutive 8-5 seasons. (TPN File Photo)

The Pitt football and baseball programs each landed a recruit Saturday as two-sport athlete  Matt Alaimo announced he will come to the university this fall.

Alaimo announced his commitment on Twitter, saying, “I am proud and excited to announce that I will be furthering my academic, football and baseball career at The University of Pittsburgh.

https://twitter.com/_MattAlaimo/status/878745485087039489

On the diamond, Alaimo played in the infield for the Big North Conference champion St. Joseph Regional. The team finished 21-5 this past year, including a 7-1 conference record. According to MaxPreps, Alaimo led the conference in RBIs with 24 while finishing second in slugging percentage at .753.

As a tight end, he is rated a three-star player by 247Sports and is the 10th recruit in football head coach Pat Narduzzi’s 2018 class. He will join fellow St. Joseph graduate Nick Patti — a 6-foot-3 quarterback — on offensive coordinator Shawn Watson’s offense.

He is also the second tight end in the class, joining Massachusetts product Jay Symonds, the first member of the group.

The program has had a very successful month, with six players committing in the past four weeks. Narduzzi will try to carry the momentum into July before the next recruiting dead period in August.