A speaker addressed protestors at an Earth Day rally in Schenley Plaza on Monday.
‘Reclaim Earth Day’ protest calls for Pitt to divest from fossil fuels
By Kyra McCague, Staff Writer • April 24, 2024

Pitt hires Randy Waldrum as new women’s soccer head coach

Pitt’s Athletic Director Heather Luke announced Tuesday that Randy Waldrum will be the new women’s soccer coach for the Panthers.

“Coach Waldrum’s proven experience of developing elite players and building and sustaining highly successful programs is most impressive,” Lyke said in a press release. “It is evident his passion for positively impacting young people is what drives his success. His championship pedigree and passion fits perfectly with the soccer culture we are creating at Pitt and we are eager to watch our program emerge under his leadership.”

Formerly with Norte Dame’s Fighting Irish for 14 seasons, he coached the team to two national championship titles in 2004 and 2010. He will be the fourth head coach for Pitt’s women’s soccer program.

He is also the first coach in NCAA history to lead a team to a national title during their first year as a coach. He wrapped up his tenure at Notre Dame with an overall record of 399-108-29.

“I would like to thank Heather Lyke for giving me this wonderful opportunity to lead the women’s soccer program at the University of Pittsburgh,” Waldrum said in the release. “I believe in the vision and excitement that she has brought to the Pitt athletic department and I look forward to being a part of that vision. I would also like to thank Chris Hoppe, who led this search, as it was truly professional in every way.”

Before coaching at Notre Dame, Waldrum spent three seasons starting a program at Baylor, getting the Bears to an overall 46-14-3 record. Before Baylor, he spent six seasons in Tulsa as the head coach for both the men’s and women’s teams from 1989-1994.

Waldrum attended and played for Midwestern State University in Wichita Falls, Texas. He graduated in 1981 with a degree in physical education and a minor in political science and later played professionally for the Los Angeles Skyhawks and Indianapolis Daredevils of the American Soccer League.

He also spent time in the National Women’s Soccer League as the head coach of the Houston Dash expansion team in January 2014. During his three seasons with the Dash, Waldrum coached seven national team players who went on to play in the Rio Summer Olympic Games — including Team USA players Carli Lloyd, Morgan Brian and Pittsburgh native Meghan Klingenberg.

“I am extremely excited to get started competing in the best conference in the country in the ACC, working with this group of players that are so hungry for success,” Waldrum said in the press release. “There is much work to be done for sure, as past results have not been what is expected, but I am confident that with all of us working together we can bring this program into national prominence and build a program of excellence.”