Pitt Wi-Fi frustrating, but enjoy the perks of its inconvenience

By Cecile Truong / Columnist

Nowadays, for college students, Internet access is practically as much a basic necessity as water or food. Many professors have shifted from lecturing via whiteboards and chalkboards to PowerPoints that they post online for students to review. Access to websites such as WebAssign, Purdue OWL, CourseWeb, Lon-Capa and Turnitin is crucial to passing many classes. 

So how are we doing with the Wi-Fi at Pitt? 

If any of the following situations sound familiar to you, then you already know the answer: “Cannot connect to Wireless-Pittnet” popping up right as you go to submit the assignment that took you five hours to complete but forgot to save in your sleep-deprived state? Or, going back to your dorm, wanting to relax with a little Netflix, when a warning saying “Authentication for Wireless-Pittnet failed” interrupts your Grey’s Anatomy. Or trying to open your Internet browser to look up whether or not you’ve contracted food poisoning  from late-night pizza, but only seeing the loading symbol spinning, spinning, spinning. 

While we are currently doomed, John Fedele, senior associate director of news for the University of Pittsburgh, said upgrades are on their way this summer. 

“Campus-wide wireless service is enhanced and upgraded on an ongoing basis,” Fedele said in an email. “Significant upgrades were completed throughout 2014. There are planned changes for Bruce Hall, Brackenridge Hall and McCormick Hall. ”

Until then, why not take the Wi-Fi shortcomings as a forced oppurtunity to go off campus? Why not have some warm mac and cheese from Panera Bread and study chemistry at the same time? Why not discover a quaint new café in Shadyside that you’ll definitely revisit on your next coffee date? 

Of course, there’s always the option of studying in the Carnegie Library, which also has a café and just as many books as Hillman Library. You could even spend a weekend afternoon in Phipps Conservatory watching online lectures while colorful flowers surround you. But still, wouldn’t it be nice to have this luxury on campus?

And this Wi-Fi wah-wah-wahhing isn’t typical millenial entitlement at work.

Jorge Mata, the chief information officer for the Los Angeles Community College District, told computerworld.com that students often ask for better Wi-Fi coverage, not faster Internet speeds. 

“From an educational standpoint, I agree with them, because we know that the longer students are on campus, the greater their chances of success,” he said.

Wi-Fi Alliance conducted a survey across 501 students from different colleges and found that 79 percent of those surveyed said college without Wi-Fi would be much more difficult. Additionally, 75 percent of the surveyed students said that Wi-Fi access on their college campuses helps them get better grades. 

It’s clear that the Wi-Fi connectivity issue resonates with faculty members, too — my biology professor often became frustrated waiting for YouTube videos to finish buffering. I’m sure you’ve experienced something similar.

But for now, until these changes are completed, it’s important to see the perks of venturing off of Pitt Wi-Fi. There are many places near campus that offer free Wi-Fi. So pay attention to improvements on campus, but for now, enjoy all the viable alternatives to attempting to study with Wireless Pittnet and enjoy the change of scenery.

Cecile Truong primarily writes about college and social issues for The Pitt News.

Write to Cecile at [email protected].