People sit inside of Redhawk Coffee on Meyran Avenue.

University continues search for Counseling Center director

The+University+Counseling+Center+has+been+without+a+director+since+May+2017.+%28Photo+by+Issi+Glatts+%7C+Staff+Photographer%29+
The University Counseling Center has been without a director since May 2017. (Photo by Issi Glatts | Staff Photographer)

The search for a University Counseling Center director is still ongoing, according to University spokesperson Kevin Zwick — who also did not comment on whether there will be a new director by the start of the 2018-19 academic year.

Pitt has been without a full-time UCC director since Allegheny County Police charged previous director, Edward Michaels, for possessing child pornography and Pitt dismissed him from his position in May 2017. Michaels had held the position since June 2015.

Marian Vanek, who is also the executive director of Pitt’s Wellness Center, has been supervising the Counseling Center as interim director since then. The University did not comment on whether they have encountered issues or challenges in running the counseling center without a director.

Zwick said the University is contracting with an “external search firm” to assist with the recruitment process and will finish once a suitable candidate has been found. He did not comment or specify details regarding the external search firm, including its name.

“There are several candidates identified that are being taken under consideration,” he said.  

The University’s job posting for the UCC director position, posted in mid-March, said the anticipated application deadline is in June. The posting said the UCC Director will work with the executive director of the Wellness Center to identify strategies for strengthening the UCC services and programs.

“The incumbent will develop, implement, and maintain UCC policies and procedures and ensure they are in alignment with those of the Wellness Center, [International Association of Counseling Services], the University, and all applicable state and federal regulations,” the posting said.