Homecoming candidates canvas for the crown

Sareen Ali | Staff Photographer

Seniors Kendall Oakley and Davis Weaver filmed a cover of Cardi B’s song “I Like It” as a part of their campaign for Homecoming Queen and King.

By Sarah Gross and Sid Lingala, TPN Staff

Across campus, blue and gold splatter sidewalks, windows and stairs. From chalk in the quad to paint in the Union, the school-spirited art marks the time of year — homecoming.  

But to candidates running for the 2018 Pitt homecoming court, winning the titles is about more than a crown. It’s the perfect platform to represent and highlight their communities.

Oluwatobi “Tobi” Ajimoko, a senior economics and Africana studies major running for Homecoming Queen, said representing Black Action Society was a large driving force in her campaign.  

“I think when it’s just two people, a king and a queen, and even if they do or don’t know each other, they sort of have the spotlight on them so they can shine it on other things,” Ajimoko said. “I feel like every king and queen were different each year so you can put your own flavor on that.”

Another candidate, Davis Weaver, a senior majoring in political science and international and areas studies, also appreciates the opportunity to give back through a service project. The crowned Homecoming King and Queen are each awarded $500 to support a community of the winner’s choosing.

“I think the inclusion of the service project is just so special and so incredible and $500 can go so far,” Weaver said. “For instance, like with my service project of getting academic resources for kids, you can go to Rite Aid and get $500 worth of resources. That’s incredible to get out to so many different kids.”

Current students and alumni come together to celebrate their Pitt pride during Homecoming with events spanning the whole week.  The homecoming game and a laser show end the week, with the homecoming court announced at the end of the show.

The weekend has a large focus on alumni this year, especially those of the Pitt African American alumni council, since it is the 50th anniversary of the creation of Black Action Society. Ajimoko, who mentioned the anniversary was a large influence for her, was appreciative of the platform that homecoming gives alumni.

I see alumni saying, ‘It’s going to be a [fun] weekend because I get to see all my friends, or all the people I don’t really talk to anymore,’” Ajimoko said. “I think it’s very cool to see like a sense of community, and just coming back, hailing to Pitt.”

Despite the opportunities and excitement associated with winning, the campaign process is one of the biggest aspects of homecoming court. Jake Harwas, a senior history and political science major, said his campaigning process is based around tabling, flyers and direct engagement. He has sold T-shirts, hung posters and handed out candy to students.

“My residents have been [a big support],” Harwas said. “I’ve had over 135 residents total and it’s just been all those people that I met as freshman, that are now upperclassmen, are leaders in their own organization and are excited for me to come in and talk with them.”

Weaver utilized his involvement in theater to diversify his campaign with a music video. Kendall Oakley, a senior communication and nonfiction writing major running alongside Weaver, described how they covered Cardi B’s song “I Like It” to and filmed themselves at popular spots on campus.

“[Davis] rewrote the lyrics and he incorporated things that we were both involved in,” Oakley said. “So we talked about Pathfinders and we talked about things around campus that everyone can relate to.”

Candidates can also gain support for their campaign through their sponsors — organizations the candidates are members of — and will partner with them if they win the contest. Oakley said her sorority Delta Phi Epsilon is her primary sponsor and biggest source of supporters.

“They know me the best. They’ve seen me at the good times and they’ve seen me at bad times, but they’re definitely my biggest supporters,” Oakley said. “They’re advertising for me on social media. A lot of sisters also bought T-shirts that Davis and I are selling.”

The campaign, as much work as all of the candidates have put into it, has led the way to a lot of positive experiences. Harwas says Pitt’s sense of community, especially in the clubs, was a positive element of his campaign — and the service project prize is a strong motivator.

“As a freshman I felt comfortable at Pitt. But I didn’t feel like it was my second home, and it didn’t become my home until I joined more organizations and became an RA and got involved in Residence Life,” Harwas said. “I wanted to be able to give that same experience to other people.”

But no matter how much candidates promote themselves on campus, one central worry remains — making sure students actually know how to vote.

“That’s one of the questions I’ve gotten a lot like, ‘Oh, how do you vote? I’d love to vote for you but I don’t know how.’” Ajimoko said. “It’s not like misinformation, but just for some reason it’s not getting out there.”

Harwas shares similar worries.

“You can talk to people all day, all you want. You can get as many endorsements as you want, but if nobody goes onto their pitt.edu and logs in, and you know puts in that they’re voting for Jake and Erica, there is no way that we’re going to win, or even get on court.”

Voting for Homecoming King and Queen is similar to voting for SGB. The poll is held on the my.pitt.edu page, and is open from noon on Oct. 4 to noon on Oct. 5.

“I definitely had moments where I remember that feeling of excitement and passion for school that you forget about sometimes,” Weaver said. “I’ve definitely learned to re-appreciate Pitt as well, through the campaign, just from going to all these different places, talking to so many different students and why Pitt is so special to me as well.”

Based on her experience campaigning, Oakley advised future Pitt homecoming candidates to have fun with their campaign.

“Don’t take yourself too seriously. You know at the end of the day this isn’t like a presidential race or anything like that,” Oakley said. “I think the simple act of running shows that you do have a lot of pride for your school. So I think that’s one thing to be proud of.”