Volleyball team reloads itself for upcoming season

By Torie Wytiaz

As the returning Pitt volleyball players take the court in preparation for the 2012 season, one…As the returning Pitt volleyball players take the court in preparation for the 2012 season, one of the most highly regarded recruiting classes in the program’s history will join them.

Prepvolleyball.com, an online volleyball resource, gave Pitt’s incoming five-player recruiting class an “honorable mention” distinction in its annual report. With this nationally recognized class, Pitt head coach Toby Rens is excited about the upcoming season, which starts this fall.

“This class has a winning mentality and a competitive attitude,” Rens said. “We are excited to have them join the Pitt family.”

All five new additions to the Pitt volleyball program hail from the state of Illinois, where each was named to the Chicago Tribune All-State Team after their senior years. Jessica Boddy, Casey Durham, Jenna Jacobson, Amanda Orchard and Mary Striedl will all become Panthers in the fall, and according to Rens, each will bring unique skills to the 2012 squad.

Boddy, a 6-foot-3 middle blocker, will be a crucial member of the team as she will replace the recently graduated Kiesha Leggs. As a senior starter and captain on the 2011 team, Leggs led the team in kills and blocks and was named an All-American Honorable Mention.

Rens sees the potential for Boddy to fill the void left by Leggs, despite her being a freshman.

“Jessica is a well-trained middle blocker,” Rens said in a press release announcing the recruiting class. “She will add depth to that position and she has an opportunity to make an impact early on in her career.”

Durham, Orchard and Striedl are outside hitters who will contribute to the Panther offensive attack, while Jacobson comes to the team as a setter. As the setter is responsible for dictating the pace of the offense, Rens is confident in Jacobson’s ability to lead on the court.

“Jenna not only brings a great skill set with her to Pitt, but also a wonderful attitude and work ethic,” Rens said. “She has a feel for the game and makes great decisions.”

While the abilities of the incoming class provide optimism for the future, the Panthers will also be able to draw valuable experience from returning players in the approaching season.

The Pitt squad returns four of its six starters from last season, losing only two seniors at graduation. Sophomore setter Lindsey Zitzke, junior outside hitter Monica Wignot and seniors Margy Acton and Alexa Campbell will be back to provide leadership and share their experience in collegiate competition.

Zitzke said she takes the role of leadership seriously, and she hopes to facilitate a cohesive 2012 squad.

“Being the setter, I know I have to be consistent and work to make our offense run efficiently,” Zitzke said. “Keeping up communication on the court can help, and it gets everyone involved.”

Another returning Panther, sophomore outside hitter Jessica Wynn, is also confident in the team’s ability to build from 2011.

“As young players last year, we got a taste of intense competition,” Wynn said. “When we come back this year, we will be hungrier and more prepared to face that competition.”

That 2011 team finished with a winning 18-15 record and, after playing in the competitive Big East, earned a bid in the conference tournament. Rens believes that the combination of new players and veterans will be beneficial to the team as it embarks on the 2012 campaign.

“The current players are excited for the new recruits to join the Pitt family,” Rens said. “We are ready to start working together.”

The Panthers will face five teams that earned NCAA tournament bids last season, including Big East rivals Louisville and Cincinnati. The opening match of the season is set for Aug. 24 when the Panthers will face George Washington in the Mortar Board Premier Tournament hosted by Purdue.

Pitt will host its own tournament the following weekend, and Big East conference play will begin on Sept. 22 when the Panthers travel to Seton Hall. The team will then return to its home, the Fitzgerald Field House, to host the Cincinnati Bearcats on Sept. 28.

Following the regular season, the Fitzgerald Field House will also be the site of the Big East Championship tournament, which will begin on Nov. 16.