Kozlowski: A recent graduate offers new students some advice

By Mark Kozlowski

In my four years at Pitt, I figured out not only how to get to class but also how to take… In my four years at Pitt, I figured out not only how to get to class but also how to take advantage of a lot of the offerings around the University. I knew how to add-drop with aplomb back in the gentler, simpler times when that had to be done in person. I found symphony tickets, ball games and romance, and I had it all figured out just in time to graduate. The least I can do is to leave behind some advice for the incoming class.

The most important thing to remember about Pitt is that it is a big place. With more than 30,000 students on campus, students can easily feel a little overwhelmed. It’s vital to remember that Pitt’s size offers both challenges and opportunities. Students can often slip through the cracks: With so many people, you will most likely be just a face to your professors — or if you’re lucky, a name and a face. You are perfectly welcome to just sit in your room all day with the door shut, never do anything and leave in four years an utter enigma.

Yet this size also presents some pretty good opportunities. There are people with literally every interest imaginable in or around this campus. I’ve heard bagpipes on the Cathedral lawn, for instance. With all these interests come a lot of groups and activities — there are research opportunities, some excellent lectures, cultural events, anything and everything. All you have to do is find them.

So the best piece of advice I can give is: get involved. Go to the Student Activities Fair at the end of August and see what you might be interested in joining. Many groups are small and thrilled to have new members. You should also find out what organization functions as a clearinghouse for whatever it is you like. I liked going to cultural events, so I made a bee-line for Pitt Arts. If you can find an organization or two to belong to, the school won’t seem so big and overwhelming anymore. And after you’ve met a few friends, the other thousands of students fade into the background.

You should also make an effort to get to know your professors. This isn’t especially difficult. All you need to do is talk to them after class or during office hours. I used to worry that this would be construed as “sucking up,” but it really isn’t. You don’t have to tell them how great you think they are. Just ask a question about the last lecture or discuss a topic you found interesting. A lot of professors really don’t have many students interact with them. The vast majority of students will tramp into class (or not), listen to the lecture and then go home. If you talk to your professor or even just introduce yourself, this sets you apart. Better still, if you get involved in research or teaching — and you should — you’ll get to know a few faculty members very well.

You will need to get used to the amount of liberty afforded to new college students. Use it wisely. Freedom means the ability to stay up as long as you want, sleep in as long as you want and go where you want with whomever you want whenever you want. But it also means if you fail a test because you cut class or because you didn’t study, that’s your problem. Nobody cares. The consequences of your choices rest squarely on you in more ways than one. You’ve probably heard all about how a wild college lifestyle can ruin your grades and health, but also consider that I saw some people who were physically attractive when starting college and looked much worse after the wear of four years of hard partying.

Whatever it is you choose to do, it is a good idea to have a plan B. I’m directing this specifically at aspiring pre-med students, but it really applies to everybody, in all aspects of college. You might not be able to take a particular class that you planned to take. Be ready for that eventuality. You might find that a particular class or a particular major is just not right for you. You might not be as attracted to a particular career path as you thought you’d be. That can cause a lot of stress. Thinking ahead and having fallback plans are two good ways to make these four years easier.

This leads to my final piece of advice, which is: relax! College is a lot of work, but it’s also a lot of fun. If you spend every minute worrying about what happens tomorrow, you’re not going to enjoy today. Provided that you stay on top of things, find a good source of advice and think ahead, I find that things tend to turn out for the best. Trust me, I don’t even remember what I worried about freshman year, as most of that stuff turned out to not really matter.

If you keep your cool, I think the story will be the same for you. Welcome to Pitt — you’re going to love it.

Write [email protected].