Beer Edition Editorial: Debating the merits of Oakland and South Side bars

By Staff Editorial

Despite living in the same city for four years, Pitt students hailing from opposite ends of the… Despite living in the same city for four years, Pitt students hailing from opposite ends of the state still can’t seem to agree on certain things — such as which convenience store is better and which hockey team deserves to win the Stanley Cup. But there’s one question that’s divided people from both Pittsburgh and Philadelphia: Are South Side bar crawls always preferable to Oakland bar crawls?

For many Pittsburghers, the answer is a resounding yes. East Carson Street, the South Side’s main thoroughfare, features one of the longest uninterrupted stretches of bars in the Untied States (not to mention a slew of cheap restaurants and live music venues). But for the Pitt students who live a mile or so beyond the Hot Metal Bridge, the question seems reasonable. Do the benefits of making the excursion outweigh the costs, or should Oakland residents be content with the more relaxed ambiance of their local bars?

Proponents of the latter option would argue that the bars surrounding Pitt’s campus more than satisfy students’ needs. And to a certain extent, they’re right. Everything from cozy, relaxed environments to more upscale drinking to packed dance halls can be found within a short walking distance of the Cathedral. More importantly, perhaps, bars like Gene’s Place maintain an intimate atmosphere that’s all too scarce on East Carson Street. Although Atwood attracts more than its fair share of drunks on Friday night, there’s no rivaling the belligerent hordes that descend onto the South Side come the weekend.

Champions of Pittsburgh’s version of New York’s East Village would note, however, that for all its garishness and excess, the South Side really does offer something for everyone. If you can stand the commotion, there’s nearly no limit to the interesting people and situations you’ll encounter. And if you don’t like the bar you visit, you can simply move next door.

If you’re wearing high heels, though, that can quickly grow exhausting. For most Oakland residents, a night away from home often entails tramping around in expensive clothes. Factor in preparation time, and the outing might soon seem much less enticing.

And perhaps that’s something every student can agree on. The South Side is, indisputably, the more exciting destination, but organizing a trip across the bridge often becomes an ordeal in itself. Taxi fare is only $10 or so, but many people wouldn’t think of initiating an East Carson Street bar crawl without dressing up and pregaming.

When you’re interested in a casual night out, Oakland bars are an ideal recourse. But if you’re intent on making the most of your Friday night — if, say, it’s your 21st birthday or your best friend from home is visiting for the weekend — then the South Side is practically unbeatable. And whichever neighborhood you choose, please don’t bring your underage friends — unless you want to appear in the police blotter, that is.