Tasser: Grading the Pittsburgh Pirates

By Donnie Tasser

Being a Pittsburgh Pirates fan is no easy task.

Spring after spring, the hope that blossoms… Being a Pittsburgh Pirates fan is no easy task.

Spring after spring, the hope that blossoms with a new baseball season seems to skip over the Steel City — the result of 19 straight losing seasons plagued by poor play, bad players and even worse personnel decisions.

However, the glimmer of hope that appeared during the Buccos’ brief stay in first place last July has not completely faded. Under manager Clint Hurdle, the Pirates’ play has displayed a quality not seen in Pittsburgh for some time: hustle. This season has been no different. While they are a very mediocre 6-8 thus far in the young season, they have overachieved given their tough opening schedule. Pittsburgh has played the reigning National League East Championships and the current National League Central and West leaders.

Here’s a look at how the Pirates have performed so far:

Pitching

Grade: A

The Pirates’ pitching staff has carried the team so far, allowing it to win games despite a pitiful offense. The pitchers’ sparkling 2.53 team ERA is good for third in the entire league. The Pirates’ starting pitching, while sporting an ugly 2-6 win-loss record, has registered six quality starts — averaging one earned run over six innings pitched. While injuries have already cost Jeff Karstens, A.J. Burnett and Charlie Morton starting positions, they could have a special year if they can stay healthy. A bullpen full of no-names has performed even better; Juan Cruz, Tony Watson, Chris Resop, Jared Hughes and Jason Grilli have combined to allow only six earned runs through 33 innings.

Top Performer: Starting Pitcher Kevin Correia

Correia — an All-Star last year who had a pitiful second half of the season — has started hot again this season. He recorded a quality start in both his appearances this season.

Biggest Disappointment: Closer Joel Hanrahan

While “Hammer Time” is 1-0 with two saves in as many opportunities, he has walked six batters in five innings. That’s something a closer just can’t do. Sooner or later it’s going to cost him, especially with the Pirates playing so many one-run games.

Batting

Grade: D

The Buccos are last in the league in runs, batting average, on-base percentage and slugging percentage. If this hadn’t been such a common occurrence over the past two decades, that stat line would be more disturbing. While they have already faced five of the best pitchers in the National League, the Pirates are still lacking a big bat in the middle of the lineup, causing them to scratch and claw for every run.

Top Performer: Center fielder Andrew McCutchen

McCutchen has set out to prove he was worth the big contract the Buccos gave him prior to this year, and he has carried the offense far. He is fourth in the National League with a .377 batting average and a nice on-base plus slugging average over .850.

Biggest Disappointment: Third baseman Pedro Alvarez

The Pirates are hoping that Alvarez can evolve into the middle-of-the-lineup threat that they desperately need, but so far it’s not going well. Besides his 2-4, two RBI night Saturday against the Cardinals, he only has two hits ­— both solo home runs — in over 30 at-bats. On top of that, he has walked just once, has struck out a team-high 15 times and continues to struggle against left-handed pitchers.

Front Office

Grade: B-

General Manager Neal Huntington looks smart after the acquisitions of starting pitchers Erik Bedard and A.J. Burnett, who have both pitched very well so far this year. However, new shortstop Clint Barmes has been dreadful at the plate and in the field. Catcher Rod Barajas has offered little of the pop at the plate that was advertised.

Overall Team Grade: C+

Overall, the Pirates still have reason to be hopeful. They have proven they can win one-run games, something the team has struggled with in the past. If the pitching staff continues to perform well and players such as Alvarez and second baseman Neil Walker start hitting, the team could yet surprise fans. However, if they remain the worst offensive team in the league, it will be another long summer in Pittsburgh.