Editorial: City should heed new state bike law, implement resources

By Staff Editorial

Yesterday, a Pennsylvania law went into effect that will change the way motorists and cyclists interact on the road. Yesterday, a Pennsylvania law went into effect that will change the way motorists and cyclists interact on the road.

The law requires motorists who wish to pass cyclists to give them at least 4 feet of buffer space. If they are not able to do that, they must wait to pass. The law also prohibits the “right hook” — when a vehicle makes a sudden right turn in the direct path of a cyclist. Violators will incur a $25 fine.

The law does, however, allow drivers on two-lane roads to cross the center line when passing a cyclist if there is no oncoming traffic.

Pennsylvania is the 19th state to enact a buffer-zone law when motor vehicles pass bicycles. The legislation was sponsored by Rep. Ron Miller, R-York, and signed into law a couple months ago by Gov. Tom Corbett.

Considering the physical, environmental and economic benefits of bike riding as a mode of transportation, we’re glad to see the state promoting the activity, as well as encouraging awareness of safe practices.

It’s also the perfect time for these regulations. The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports that cycling is likely to increase this season, because the last time gas prices inflated, the number of cyclists grew wildly.

Before yesterday, there was confusion about how drivers should act when they come across cyclists. Now, there’s no gray area. It is now law to respect a cyclist’s space and be reasonable about how to pass him. And that’s exactly what we need in a state that, in 2010, saw its number of bicycle-accident injuries increase to 1,474.

Pennsylvania law forbids bike riding on sidewalks in business districts such as Oakland, so local drivers are well aware that there are cyclists on the street. Thankfully, though, they must now give them room.

But the law sets some provisions for cyclists as well. If they are traveling below the normal speed of traffic, they must either use the right lane or stay as close as they can to the right-hand edge of the roadway, unless they are passing or about to make a left turn. They may also move away from the curb to avoid road hazards or obstructions.

We applaud the state for giving bicyclists written rights while on the road. We can only hope drivers and cyclists alike can better respect each other’s space, forge a rapport and promote an improved commute for everyone.

But there needs to be increased resources for bicyclists, such as bike lanes and more space to lock bikes. The congested areas in Pittsburgh aren’t well-equipped to handle a huge influx of bikes, and cyclists must be able to park their bikes in reasonable places. Bicycle advocacy group Bike Pittsburgh has maps and other resources that can make getting around Pittsburgh a bit easier, but with this new law, the city should increase its resources and better accommodate its cyclists.

With Pittsburgh’s dwindling bus services, riding a bike to campus can be the easiest, fastest way to commute. We believe this law will truly make a difference. Even if it simply prevents one injury, it’s definitely worth the time and effort.

But remember, it’s scary out there. Whether you’re a driver or a cyclist, make sure to obey traffic laws and watch out for those who unfortunately don’t. We can only hope for more efficient and safer traveling — for all.