‘The Hunger Games’ doesn’t disappoint book lovers

By Hope McLaughlin

Fans of “The Hunger Games” book series who haven’t seen the film adaptation should get themselves to a theater immediately… “The Hunger Games”

Directed by Gary Ross

Starring Jennifer Lawrence, Josh Hutcherson, Liam Hemsworth, Elizabeth Banks, Woody Harrelson, Stanley Tucci, Lenny Kravitz

Grade: A

Fans of “The Hunger Games” book series who haven’t seen the film adaptation should get themselves to a theater immediately.

“The Hunger Games,” based on the first book of Suzanne Collins’ futuristic adventure trilogy, was released at midnight on March 24. The first installation of the “Games” blew up the box office, making $68.3 million on opening day, according to Entertainment Weekly — the best opening day to date for a non-sequel, and the fifth-best opening day of all time.

“The Hunger Games” takes place in the dystopian world of Panem, a nation made up of 12 districts and a wealthy, authoritarian capitol. Panem is all that remains of the former United States. Long ago, the districts rebelled and waged war on the Capitol, but the Capitol prevailed.

As punishment for the rebellion, every year each district must send one boy and one girl between the ages of 12 and 18 to participate in a televised fight to the death, known as the Hunger Games. The Games, fought in an outdoor arena and controlled by “Gamemakers” from the Capitol, are a demonstration of the Capitol’s power over the districts: do not rebel again, or else, they warn.

Living with her mother and 12-year-old sister in District 12, the poorest of the 12 districts, is 16-year-old Katniss Everdeen. Katniss is tough, driven and resourceful, but appears aloof to many people in her district. Her persona is a result of her past and present life. Her father died in a coal mine explosion when she was only 11-years-old, and she was forced to take over his role as head of the family because his death sent her mother into a state of shock and depression.

To feed and provide for herself, her mother, and her younger sister, Prim, Katniss hunts and gathers illegally with her best friend Gale in the woods surrounding District 12. Both before and during the Games, she has two sole goals in life: survive and take care of Prim. When Prim’s name is drawn during the reaping ceremony, Katniss volunteers to take her place in the Hunger Games.

Anyone who read the book knows that the actress chosen to play Katniss could easily make or break the movie. Katniss narrates the book, and the plot revolves closely around her thoughts and feelings. The movie needed an actress who could somehow bring Katniss’ interior monologues to life, and Jennifer Lawrence does just that.

In “The Hunger Games” movie, Lawrence didn’t just play Katniss — she became Katniss.

The other characters were also excellently cast. The districts are severely oppressed by the brutal Capitol, creating a difficult relationship to portray in film. Readers sympathize with Katniss and the other tributes while loathing the heartless dictators and shallow spectators from the Capitol. It was crucial for the cast of this film to bring that relationship to the screen, and they certainly succeeded.

Lenny Kravitz plays Cinna, Katniss’ stylist and perhaps the only Capitol citizen who doesn’t make readers cringe. Kravitz captures all of Cinna’s likable qualities and makes viewers believe that Cinna actually cares about Katniss and truly hopes that she wins.

Readers both love to hate and hate to love Effie Trinket, District Twelve’s Capitol escort, and Haymitch Abernathy, District Twelve’s only living Hunger Games champion — consequently the mentor for District Twelve’s tributes every year. Effie is shallow and self-involved; Haymitch is a gruff alcoholic who appears less than dependable — certainly not suitable as a mentor for two teenagers about to enter a fight to the death. Elizabeth Banks and Woody Harrelson play Effie and Haymitch, respectively, and both exude a detestable yet amusing presence. As Katniss starts to hate Haymitch less, so do viewers.

Stanley Tucci could not have been a better choice for Caesar Flickerman, the eccentric man from the Capitol who hosts the tribute interviews that are broadcasted live for all of Panem. Amandla Stenberg is charming and lovable as Rue, the youngest tribute at only twelve years old who reminds Katniss of her little sister Prim.

The film’s depiction of the reaping, the preparation and the actual Games was anything but boring. The audience members at the midnight premiere were heavily invested in the Games — reacting vocally and jumping in scary scenes.

As always, when a book is turned into a movie, there are many fans to please. While there were some noticeable differences between the book and the movie, most occurred in early scenes, and none were major plot alterations. All of the changes seemed to be made for the sake of time; the movie was already almost two-and-a-half hours long. Dragging out the pre-Games District Twelve scenes would have made it too long. Furthermore, a great deal of the novel takes place inside of Katniss’ head, and only so many thoughts and memories can be brought to a screen.

Seeing the story unfold on screen intensified the already horrifying concept. It was easier to read about a forced, televised fight to the death than it was to watch one, and the film’s portrayal of Panem’s many injustices reminds fans that the book is largely a cultural commentary on society’s numbness to reality television, violence and socio-economic hierarchies.

For those of you who have not read “The Hunger Games” trilogy, the good news is that you can choose not to and still enjoy the movie. Reading the books will only add to the movie viewing experience, but you certainly won’t be lost if you choose not to read them.

As always, happy Hunger Games, and may the odds be ever in your favor.