Editorial: Pitt police’s response to shooting commendable

By Staff Editorial

On March 8, we were on Spring Break. We were enjoying the sun, sleeping in and taking a break from our schoolwork. But all that didn’t lessen the impact of the tragedy that occurred on our campus. On March 8, we were on Spring Break. We were enjoying the sun, sleeping in and taking a break from our schoolwork. But all that didn’t lessen the impact of the tragedy that occurred on our campus.

Someone had opened fire at Western Psychiatric Institute.

The University’s Emergency Notification Service didn’t hesitate as it sent out a text alerting students of an active shooter on campus and proclaiming “several injured.”

The aftermath of the shooting was tragic. It left two dead: the shooter, 30-year-old John Shick, and 25-year-old Michael Schaab, a UPMC employee and Pitt alumnus. It wounded seven more, unquestionably changing their lives and countless others’.

Western Psych, the largest psychiatric institute in western Pennsylvania, does not hold classes and is not a prominent setting for Pitt students. In effect, no undergraduate academic work gets done there, and, although it is an on-campus building, students might feel generally disconnected from it.

But as far-removed as students might have been over break, we’re closer to the situation than we think.

An undeniable connection between the Pitt community and the Western Psych shooting is the police force that responded to it efficiently and responsibly.

Because of the decisions of one, many people were hurt both physically and mentally. The victims, their families and everyone else involved have experienced a tragedy that will never be forgotten.

But because of the decisions of the professionals whose job descriptions are to protect the lives and well-being of the people around them, we can say that the tragedy was managed well. It could have been much, much worse.

And for that, Pitt police, we say thank you.

Thank you for mitigating the damage. You were first on the scene, arriving minutes after the initial shots, and you didn’t hold back. By opening fire immediately — following previous training — you have saved lives and reinforced this community’s faith in our police force.

People are alive because of that twice yearly training, which Pitt Police Chief Tim Delaney implemented after the 2007 shooting at Virginia Tech. People are alive because of you.

Thank you for ensuring the safety of the people in the surrounding community by enforcing lockdown on several buildings and clearing Western Psych before leaving.

Although people who were distant from the rampage might have been angry or upset with the lockdowns, you did what you had to do to make sure no one else got hurt. It’s not an easy job to do, but you did it anyway.

And, most of all, thank you for responding like true heroes. You’ve given the world a positive representation of the Pitt community. We take solace in knowing that the same men and women who quickly quelled such a dangerous situation — and took preventive measures in the meantime — are the same people who watch over our Oakland home on ordinary days.

As Mayor Luke Ravenstahl said of the responding officers in his March 8 news conference, “There’s no doubt their swift response saved lives today.”

No doubt at all. Your positive impact on this campus and community is immeasurable.