Big East open to discuss Pitt, Syracuse leaving early

By Lauren Kirschman

Big East commissioner John Marinatto said that the Big East is open to a discussion about… Big East commissioner John Marinatto said that the Big East is open to a discussion about allowing Pitt and Syracuse to move to the Atlantic Coast Conference before 2014.

“Given the speed and success of our expansion initiative, I think it’s open to having the discussion with Pittsburgh and Syracuse about them having an early departure,” Marinatto said at a press conference announcing Temple as the Big East’s latest member on Wednesday. “We actually haven’t had those conversations yet, but our membership is certainly willing to do that at this point given where we’ve landed.”

After the Big East and West Virginia reached a settlement that allowed the school to join the Big 12 next year in early February, Marinatto said that the conference might be open to discussing the two schools exiting the Big East for the 2013 season.

If Pitt and Syracuse do move to the ACC for the 2013 season, the Big East will still have a 12-team football conference.

The University of Memphis, Southern Methodist University, the University of Central Florida and Houston will join the Big East for all sports in 2013. Boise State and San Diego State will join for football only in 2013, and Navy will join for football only in 2015.

The newest edition, Temple, will join the Big East for football on July 1, 2012 and for all sports on July 1, 2013.

If the Big East does hold Pitt and Syracuse through the conference’s 27-month waiting period, the schools won’t be able to leave until 2014. That means the Big East would have 14 teams for football and 20 teams for basketball for the 2013-2014 season.

Senior Staff Writer Greg Trietley contributed to this report.