Bates Street vape shop vandalized, Pitt student charged

By Emily Wolfe, News Editor

A Pitt student has been charged with burglary and aggravated assault after he allegedly threw a skateboard through the window of a vape shop on Bates Street early Sunday morning.

Pitt police arrested 19-year-old Thomas Schimminger shortly after 4 a.m. Sunday and charged him with one count each of burglary, aggravated assault, theft, underage drinking, public drunkenness, criminal mischief, carrying a false ID and possessing an instrument of crime.

The instrument — Schimminger’s skateboard — was allegedly used to break the window of Head of the Glass, a glass, smoke and vape shop at 3602 Bates St. According to a criminal complaint filed later that day, police arrived at the site in response to a report of a disorderly male breaking glass on a building in the area.

When the first officer arrived at the corner of Bates Street and Meyran Avenue, Schimminger was walking away from the shop, the complaint said. Schimminger initially refused commands to stop. When a second officer got to the scene, Schimminger threw his skateboard and several glass items at the officers before attempting to run away. Police then tased Schimminger and took him into custody.

Further investigation and video from the store owner revealed that Schimminger had used his skateboard to break the front window of Head of the Glass, and that he had stolen smoking devices worth $350, the complaint said. Witnesses who had reported the incident identified Schimminger as the man they had seen.

Schimminger was under the influence of alcohol during the incident and carried two false identification cards, the complaint said.

Jon Moss contributed reporting to this story.