2 additional Greek life orgs face hazing probes

Thomas Yang | Assistant Visual Editor

U.S. District Judge J. Nicholas Ranjan said there was no evidence to suggest Rosfeld’s resignation was coerced under duress.

By Jon Moss, Assistant News Editor

Two additional Greek life organizations at Pitt face hazing probes as of Wednesday evening.

The University placed Pitt’s chapters of the Delta Sigma Phi fraternity and Chi Omega sorority on “Interim Loss of Privileges — New Member Education” Wednesday, following anonymous reports to the University for possible involvement in new member hazing.

Pitt suspended a third Greek life organization, the Phi Kappa Theta fraternity, on an interim basis Wednesday, ceasing all organizational operations. This move follows a partial suspension last Friday after a similar anonymous report of possible involvement in new member hazing. An investigation is pending.

Pitt spokesperson Kevin Zwick said investigations have begun into the two organizations, and they must cease all new member education activities while the investigations take place.

“We encourage all students to reflect on their involvement in our fraternity and sorority community and their organization’s commitment to a culture that values excellence and the well-being of its community members,” Zwick said. “Our policies and expectations have been made very clear to our students.”

Martin Klena, the president of Delta Sigma Phi, said the University has provided him with very little information about what the fraternity is being accused of, but is taking the hazing allegations very seriously.

“We really don’t have a ton of information of what’s going on right now. We’re really in the dark,” Klena, a senior computing engineering major, said. “We are planning to cooperate with the University as much as possible to really get to the bottom of whatever we’re being accused of.”

Klena added that DSP has a written internal process for dealing with hazing allegations and tries to maintain a culture where new members would feel willing to discuss such topics.

“I think we try and be very objective and open to listening to people and getting their opinions,” Klena said. “I would hope that somebody would feel comfortable.”

Jade Nash, the president of Chi Omega, did not respond to a request for comment.

The three investigations come two years after a string of hazing and alcohol incidents in spring 2018. Vice Provost and Dean of Students Kenyon Bonner placed all Greek life organizations on modified social probation in January 2018. He lifted the probation in August 2018 and released a community action plan aiming to change the culture of Greek life on campus.

At the time he released the plan, Bonner said responsibility for Greek life organizations ultimately lies with students.

“At some point, you’re all adults, you’re all leaders, you’re all responsible people — and I think reasonable people — and you have a responsibility to manage your organizations,” Bonner said.

Pitt community members can report hazing and other crimes via the Pitt police anonymous tip form.