Football: Pitt accepts invitation to BBVA Compass Bowl

By Lauren Kirschman

The Pitt football team accepted an invitation on Sunday to play in the BBVA Compass Bowl for the… The Pitt football team accepted an invitation on Sunday to play in the BBVA Compass Bowl for the second consecutive season.

The Panthers will face Southern Methodist University on Jan. 7 in Birmingham, Ala. at 1 p.m..

“You play an entire season to earn the opportunity for one extra game — a bowl game,” Pitt head coach Todd Graham said in a press release. “Our team is excited for the chance to put that Pitt helmet on one more time for the BBVA Compass Bowl. Birmingham is a great football town. We’re looking forward to our visit and playing SMU in front of a national ESPN television audience.”

Last season, Pitt defeated Kentucky 27-10 in the Compass Bowl following the firing of head coach Dave Wannstedt. Then-defensive coordinator and acting head coach Phil Bennett coached the game.

“We know firsthand the great hospitality shown to the teams and fans, and we’re looking forward to our visit in January,” Pitt athletic director Steve Pederson said in a press release.

The Panthers became bowl eligible with their win over Syracuse on Saturday. SMU finished third out of six teams in the West Division of Conference USA with a 7-5 overall record and a 5-3 conference record.

It’s the sixth meeting between Pitt and SMU and the second time the two will face off in a bowl game. The Mustangs defeated Pitt 7-3 in the 1983 Cotton Bowl. The overall series is tied 2-2-1.

The Mustangs were seventh out of 12 teams in the Conference in scoring offense with 25.7 points per game and fourth in scoring defense, holding opponents to 24.5 points per game.

Pitt has played in four consecutive bowl games since 2000 and nine in 12 seasons.